Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: smoker wood  (Read 3037 times)

shrek

• I'm a llama!
smoker wood
« on: September 18, 2005, 07:00:08 PM »

Just a question about wood used in a smoker.  Has anyone used shells of nuts as a wood?  As I picked up a bag of hazelnuts when I came back from a day on the river.  Will this be ok to use

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
Re: smoker wood
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 09:28:20 PM »

Just a question about wood used in a smoker.  Has anyone used shells of nuts as a wood?  As I picked up a bag of hazelnuts when I came back from a day on the river.  Will this be ok to use

i wouldn't do it. the shells of nuts aren't wood. they contain oils and enzymes that could make your fish taste bitter.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 09:11:54 AM »

i wouldn't do it.
the shells of nuts aren't wood.
they contain oils and enzymes that could make your fish taste bitter.
Well it depends how you define wood doesn't it?
While I wouldn't try to smoke a whole batch certainly add some to the mix.
All woods contain oils/enzymes-that's why different woods give the final product different flavours.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 12:43:26 PM »

I wouldn't use nut shells. Stick to the fruit wood such as cherry, apple, etc.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 02:37:40 PM »

i wouldn't do it.
the shells of nuts aren't wood.
they contain oils and enzymes that could make your fish taste bitter.
Well it depends how you define wood doesn't it?
While I wouldn't try to smoke a whole batch certainly add some to the mix.
All woods contain oils/enzymes-that's why different woods give the final product different flavours.

well for one, nutshells (like cashews) are caustic. they contain toxic oils called cardol and produces acids, as a by product. they are commonly used in cleaning products and other industrial applications.

the primary content in wood is cellulose and lignin.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005, 05:00:24 PM »

well for one, nutshells (like cashews) are caustic. they contain toxic oils called cardol and produces acids, as a by product. they are commonly used in cleaning products and other industrial applications.

Well not to be argumentative but BFD-Cashews nuts are poisonous until they're roasted what does that have to do with anything?
All wood contains some small of oils and acid-all woods having different properties means some are better suited for smoking but omnly a very few are totally unsuitable-Rhododendron comes to mind.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2005, 11:32:53 PM »

Well not to be argumentative but BFD-Cashews nuts are poisonous until they're roasted what does that have to do with anything?
All wood contains some small of oils and acid-all woods having different properties means some are better suited for smoking but omnly a very few are totally unsuitable-Rhododendron comes to mind.

we are talking about smoking purposes. the components in nutshells have a higher acidity level than wood.
therefore, the smoke produced by them would translate to a more bitter flavour. also the smoke created by nutshells doesn't necessarily carry the same flavour, as the nut itself.

this is just my opinion.  if you like smoking fish with nutshells, all the power to you.