Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: did i get a good deal  (Read 3206 times)

ineedserioushelp

did i get a good deal
« on: September 15, 2005, 10:45:53 PM »

hello all i am fairly new to river fishing and i just bought a used rod reel from a garage sale .i am hoping i didnt pay to much. its a sage #b3106gsh it came with a beat up shimano calcutta 251 i paid 100$.i have the weekend off any advice where to go .be nice now

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Re: did i get a good deal
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 10:52:08 PM »

Seems like a good deal.  If the pole is in good shape and not beat up to much, then you will probably like it.  I have a Sage 3113 and I love it, especially for steelhead.  As for the real, I would go and get it serviced.  If it runs smooth then you will like it as well.
  So I would say that you got a good deal depending on the shape.  Best way to know for sure is to get out on the river and try it out.  If you like it then that is all that matters!!! :) :)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 10:55:58 PM »

Also if you want to catch a fish, then go to the lower Veddar and you will probably catch a salmon or two.  Just go to Fred's Custom Tackle and ask some questions.  Always ask questions.  Most people out there are willing to help.  Also watch to see what other people are doing and mimick the ones that r catching the fish!!!!!!

ineedserioushelp

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 10:59:41 PM »

::)thanks i think what i meant to say is what is the best use for this combo.big fish little fish ?salt water or rivers

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 11:05:13 PM »

You could get big fish on it, but that depends on your definition of big!!!!  Personally I would think it would be best used for salmon out of a river like the veddar, chehalis or the squamish to name a few!!!!  I have landed 40lb plus springs on my sage.  Don't usually like doing that but when you get them on that size you might as well try to land them!!!  Just make sure that your drag is set right.  Cause pretty much every salmon can break a line in heartbeat if the drag is to tight!!

ineedserioushelp

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 11:41:27 PM »

thanks BIG STEEL holy crap now that would make my day week month year yehaw

allwaysfishin

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 11:46:03 PM »

for a hundred bucks... buddy you got a smokin deal even if the reel is hooped. A Sage 3106 (pre 2005 model) runs about 400 to 500 retail depending on the grade of components it was built with. All sage 3106 rods previous to 2005 had to be custom built after buying the rod blank from sage or a retail store. If your rod is in good shape with no bad scratches or gouges and the guides seat and cork are undamaged the rod is worth 200 to 250 on it's own. Sage rods come with an almost unconditional lifetime breakage warranty.

I own this same rod, and I built it for coho and steelhead. It is ideal for the chilliwack/vedder and other local rivers where float fishing for salmon and steelhead are popular. As far as a line rating, i would say 12 to 20Lbs line though I never go over 15 on mine. It will handle (in the right hands), salmon up to 30lbs with no problem and heavier with a little care.
if you ever want to sell it..... i'll give ya 150 for just the rod :)
the calcutta reel in good serviced working condition is also worth around 150.00, new it retails for 250.00 to 300.00. There is a post here regarding shimano servicing at the local shimano shop in ladner (?), they can for sure service your reel to near new function as long as your frame is not badly damaged.
I would say the price you would have paid from the average fisherman selling theis same outfit would have been around 350.00 to 400.00.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 11:51:01 PM by allwaysfishin »