Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lower Fraser, Richmond September 14th  (Read 4353 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Lower Fraser, Richmond September 14th
« on: September 14, 2005, 03:29:02 PM »

Funniest thing that I saw today, was Chrome Mykiss' dad trying to use Lucky's bent net (from hauling in yesterday's chinook) to scoop up those pinks. ;D

Sneaked out for a couple of hours in between work today. Arrived at the river around 1pm, Obi Wan and Trout Slayer were already fishing. Tide was fairly low, but the fish were surfacing.

The first hour, pretty pathetic, hooked seven and landed none. :-X These included one mysterious large fish that took me for a long ride up and down the river, never shown itself before popping off the hook. ::)

We then joined Chrome Mykiss' dad, lucky, bar man, slick, John. I fished for another 40 minutes, hooked into three more, landed one.

10% landing ratio!!!! Time to take up tennis. ;)

I am out of spoons for now by the way, for those who haven't made arrangement to get them from me.

Few things to remember
  • You need a tidal sportfishing licence when fishing in the tidal Fraser River.
  • You need to purchase a salmon conservation stamp if you intend to keep your pink salmon.
  • Daily quota for pink salmon is four fish in tidal Fraser River.
  • Daily quota for chinook salmon is four fish in tidal Fraser River, but only one maybe over 50cm.
  • You may only keep four salmon (mixed species) in total per day.
  • Only a single barbless hook is allowed on the lure.
  • Bait ban is in effect between September 6th and October 7th
  • You must release any sockeye and wild coho carefully.
  • Pink salmon have large oval spots on their back and tail. Sockeye salmon do not have spots. Chinook salmon have tiny black spots on its back and tail.
  • Complete tidal Fraser River salmon regulations can be found on this page.
  • Report all fishing violations to DFO Steveston 604-664-9250.
  • Make sure you have a good fillet knife to clean your catch and a cooler with ice to keep your it fresh.
[/size]

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Lower Fraser, Richmond September 14th
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 04:19:55 PM »

Try using those tandem treble hooks and your landing ratio will improve. ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 07:09:39 PM by Fish Assassin »

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 04:33:24 PM »

Just curious Rod if the commercial fishermen are netting down where you are fishing. I heard they got an opening so I am wondering how far down river they are netting.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

FishOn

• This sure beats workin!
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 04:48:50 PM »

You work Rod? :o I thought catchng pinks was your full time occupation. ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 04:49:34 PM »

No, making spoons is. ;)

No idea about the commercial fishery.

Obi Wan

• Fins & Skins... Ya Baby!
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 04:57:53 PM »

:D Funny when I saw Rod hauling in the BIG one, he was doing the 'ol Pump & Reel. I thought he had a Tuna on.  ;D

I got my dad out to join me for 1 hour. I told him it's Salmon fishing last night & he right away told me he'll bring his gear. I had my doubts that he'll bring the right stuff, so I packed up an extra trout rod. My instinct was totally on as he showed up with a stout rod & what looked like 40 lb test line on a coffee grinder.  ::)

It tuned out very nice. Got him to play out a Pink for me. Reel's screeching on 10 lb line for 5 min. Unfortunately, it was the only one we landed. The action was 10% of what it was yesterday. Maybe after work today.
May the fish be with you!

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2005, 06:36:32 PM »

Fishing was hot when I arrived around 2, third cast and a clean doe was landed, within an hour I had three does and released a buck. After that the bite died right off, left around 6 and a few fish were starting to show again.

And about that bent net, its still landing me fish so I figure Ill keep using it till it totally snaps in half ;D

bar man

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2005, 07:24:49 PM »

i went to north arm today and fished for about 2 hours.  the fish seemed very patchy, you would see lots of risers for about 20 min. them nothing for the next 20.  guy beside me using the same lure as me hooked into about 5 for my 1.  he had his limit before i had a sniff.  them it happend, waam! a hard bite down.  when it surfaced i  saw a male in realy good shape and had a lot of fight for a 5lb'er.  i was feeling generous so i though i should let this guy go until...it started jumping all over the place just before i was trying to net it.  it was bouncing of the rocks beside me!  and then when it finaly settled enough to net i went to scoop it and it stared acting up agen!  this guy was not going down with out a fight.  but the second time it acted up the hook that was through its upper lip went through the mesh that was attached to the net frame and and stuck there because of the smallest of slivers still there from when i snaped the barb.  because of the way the fish was attached to the hook and the hook to the net it was impossible to net the fish...beleve me i carefully triied everything ??? ??? i concider myself a very respectfull person to nature and its animals, so by the time i figured out my net problem(fish out of water i little longer then i would have choose...actualy not out at all) and still remembering the abuse the fish gave its self on the rocks, i thought it would be disrespectfull to turn the fish back, it wouldn't have survived much longer.

so that was my day, happy i cought fish but not so happy with the way it was cought.  i'll have to remember to file down my barbs if they need it.

hope this didn't offend anyone...lesson learnd

Headshake

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2005, 07:57:22 PM »

OK, so with all of these fish on every cast postings, I have a meeting cancel and so try and do some exploring on the lower Fraser. I arrive between No 5RD and No 3 Rd at 3pm to find a total of 3 people fishing ???. I try a few more dead end roads before trying to cast my pink lure to the might Fraser. I see no fish rising, but Rodney seems to sugget that makes no difference. I try for 2 hrs.
Results:
Lots of solitude.
2 seals
No fish seen, heard, touched, or tasted.

Am I in the wrong place?

I know nobody likes crowds, but when you're trying to figure out a new spot, solitude is for people who need therapy. I need both therapy and fish. People around is the only way I can see if there are fish around and whether it's the fish or my methods that are producing results.

Anybody willing to show me some ropes, so I don't burn any more fuel driving endlessly around Richmond in search of Rodney's Secret spot? I have small kids and although I have done my share of discovering new rivers, I really can't be wasting family time and gas in the pursuit of these invisible pinks.

Help.
I'ts either a fish or the bottom!

funky rodder

• Save me some guys....
    • i-Clean(TM) Global
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2005, 08:54:19 PM »

I'm on the same boat as you Headshake.
Been out to #3 several times...same results as you.  Trying to sniff out Rod & his pinks.
Bite me [bait]

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2005, 08:58:08 PM »

Lucky guys. You can even get skunked. I broke my rod so, I can only stand at the side line until I my wife forgives me and give me allowance to buy a new rod.  :'( :'( :'(

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2005, 10:10:38 PM »

BwiBwi, you have to ask?! Just go by a new one.... ;)

The location is not the issue, the timing and retrieve speed are. ;) :P Ask Trout Slayer how many he hooked when I hooked fish beside him today. ;)

I'm seeing more fish at low tide lately by the way.

phatwop

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2005, 10:43:08 PM »

Low tide this morning was quite good. Saw a 7 foot sturgeon washed up on shore.

Headshake

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2005, 11:20:18 PM »

Well it's not my retrieve speed. I am bouncing my croc on the bottom, so I can't get slower than that. Timing eh? Well that could be it. I'll let you know over the next few days if I see them rising.
I'ts either a fish or the bottom!

Double Underhooks

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2005, 01:15:30 PM »

whoaaa...where'd u see the sturgeon? and any indication on how it died?