Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chinook, Spring, Red, White  (Read 10692 times)

lowlight

Chinook, Spring, Red, White
« on: September 13, 2005, 06:04:19 PM »

In another thread, I saw a single fish being described as a Chinook and a Spring, and people asked whether it was red or white...

Can someone explain this to me?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Chinook, Spring, Red, White
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 06:11:16 PM »

Chinooks, springs, kings, tyee are all the same fish. There are two different types of chinooks: red and white meat. The whites are missing an enyzme which metabolizes the proteins.

FishiN AddicT

• WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 06:22:10 PM »

Most people prefer reds over whites.  But IMO it all depends on how its cooked.  Oh another thing.......the white springs have a very noticeable smell to it  :P

Randog

• Ultimate Sportfishing Adventures
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 06:27:11 PM »

Your so smart Fish my friend. ;D Now explain to me about marbled springs ;D ;D ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 06:31:32 PM »

Your so smart Fish my friend. ;D Now explain to me about marbled springs ;D ;D ;D

Genetic freaks ;D

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2005, 09:13:13 PM »

has to do with diet as well.

"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

Randog

• Ultimate Sportfishing Adventures
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 09:25:25 PM »

good answer ;D

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2005, 06:35:25 AM »

Most people prefer reds over whites.  But IMO it all depends on how its cooked.  Oh another thing.......the white springs have a very noticeable smell to it  :P

i prefer white and the skin has a slight iodine scent to it.

the flesh smells no different then red or other salmon.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2005, 06:48:38 AM »

In fact FishinMagician, a white and a red will more than likely have an very similiar or even identical diet.

FA referred to a missing enzyme...when present, that enzyme allows for absorbtion of the pigments that give shrimp their orange shell; it is solely (not the flatfish) that missing enzyme that is the cause of a "whites" pale flesh.

In terms of their table fair, I killed them the first 2-3 years I fished the vedder.  Once my fishing skills improved and I was getting consistant coho results,  I found whites unworthy at that time.  I think they turn fast, loose flesh quality quickly , and are just way to slimy and stincky. 

Once a fisherman figures out how to catch enuff coho to keep his family fed, he will be pretty hard pressed to kill a white spring unless he is hard up for bait!

Even in the smoker, the fillets can be so thick that the salt never penetrates and they get smoked on the outside but rot on the inside...we had several batches that smelled skunky and were soft next tor the skin...uuuuuugh  :-X

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2005, 09:37:21 AM »

i prefer the reds myself but will eat white spring done on the bbq. unless like said you have enough coho in the frezzer ;D

lowlight

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2005, 10:55:01 AM »

In fact FishinMagician, a white and a red will more than likely have an very similiar or even identical diet.

FA referred to a missing enzyme...when present, that enzyme allows for absorbtion of the pigments that give shrimp their orange shell; it is solely (not the flatfish) that missing enzyme that is the cause of a "whites" pale flesh.

In terms of their table fair, I killed them the first 2-3 years I fished the vedder.  Once my fishing skills improved and I was getting consistant coho results,  I found whites unworthy at that time.  I think they turn fast, loose flesh quality quickly , and are just way to slimy and stincky. 

Once a fisherman figures out how to catch enuff coho to keep his family fed, he will be pretty hard pressed to kill a white spring unless he is hard up for bait!

Even in the smoker, the fillets can be so thick that the salt never penetrates and they get smoked on the outside but rot on the inside...we had several batches that smelled skunky and were soft next tor the skin...uuuuuugh  :-X
Coho? Aren't we talking about Chinook AKA Spring? ???

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2005, 12:04:02 PM »

i don't think catching white spring is an indication of one's lack of skill.

i thought it wasn't always about the meat. true sportmen should be able to appreciate the many different species of fish without being labelled or ridiculed.

i say fish to enjoy the sport, conserve, and be safe.

sorry for the hijack.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2005, 01:51:06 PM »

Wow...are people that sensative or what?!?  By no means was I labelling or riducluing anyone! 

My simple point is that when I started fishing the vedder,  I hooked more whites than coho.  Most of the time I came home with a spring and if I got lucky, a coho or 2.  Now with 14+ years on the vedder, I know the river well, I know the lies (especially coho), and have a refined presentation, etc.  Driving all the way fro north van, there is a urge to bring something back for the table to justify the gas and effort. I am saying  I don't need that fish to be a spring - I get plenty of coho for food. 

I may take one big white doe each year for bait (and smoke it up as not to waste the flesh) but that is it.

You are right, heck whites are a ton of fun to fish and offer great sport.  But if I want something for my table it wont be a stinky white!

If you serve white spring at your dinner table thats fine (I don't thik anything less of you for it), just don't invite me over for dinner that night  ;)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2005, 02:18:38 PM »

What's those spring for sale in market? Is it white or red?

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2005, 02:55:23 PM »

Don't know the one I saw is whole fish. Is there a way to tell from outside?