Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: where are those little fishes that used to eat my salmon guts on the fraser?  (Read 3449 times)

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.

please forgive, but i am unsure of the name/species of the little fishes that used to eat my salmon guts on the fraser.

when i'd clean a spring or whatever salmon I'd discard the insides into the river (on the bars like pegleg/laidlaw/herrling) and I'd always notice little fishes zipping around munching up the salmon stuff (esp. roe from the ocassional female and yes, I know it can be used for bait..)...

so what's up...where did the little fish go? is this the start of a bigger problem when the little fish disappear...or are is there another explanation for their absence...

« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 09:49:45 AM by dennisK »

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life

while cleaning fish at peg leg they were around but not as many as used to be.but they are still there ;D

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!

I seen a lot of little fish around when I go fishing.  They are, however, staying away from the main flow where the big fishes are.  They mill about away from the strong current so as not to get swept away as well as avoid being food for the big fish.
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.

thanks, nice to know i was wrong....i was worried it may be a bad omen  :o

leaseman

• on the water or in the bush...thats entertainment

WWhen you dont see the little coarse fish I find it usually means that there is sturgeon in the area and the little fish don't want to become supper!! When salmon fishing is in full swing the sturgeon know to move to the bottom (low side of the river as far as current flow) of the bars as all the guts get washed down there and the sturgeon gorge themselves. This is also why you see the odd person hook a sturgeon off these bars.

It is also noticeable when we are sturgeon fishing in slower water with roe you can watch you rod tip get constant action from these little guys chewing at your roe and if they stop nibbling usually it means that either your bait is gone OR a sturgeon has sented your bait and is homing in on it, this makes sturgeon fishing interesting because we just about always get a big strike when this happens!!

ANTICIPATION!!!!

legend

• There's no nookie like Chinookie

Oh so true moose i to notice this .

leaping steely

• Old Timer
  • Who goes fishing anymore?

please forgive, but i am unsure of the name/species of the little fishes that used to eat my salmon guts on the fraser.

Those would be Peamouth Chubs and Squawfish.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer

and sucker fish. Got one on the fly. Hungry little buggers.

leaping steely

• Old Timer
  • Who goes fishing anymore?

and sucker fish. Got one on the fly. Hungry little buggers.

A Sucker Fish? I've never seen it before. Got pictures? ???

clarki

• Old Timer

My buddy's son fishes for them while his dad's out bb'ing. Light gear, small hooks and gutz/roe for bait and he's into fish. The big surprise a few weeks ago was a 1-2 ft sturgeon that took a shine to his bait as well. Big scrap on the little rod.