Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Circle hooks for bottom bouncing  (Read 6603 times)

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
Circle hooks for bottom bouncing
« on: September 12, 2005, 06:07:28 PM »

Smmething crossed my mind the other day, and that is what would the results look like if a person were to use circle hooks for bottom bouncing in the Fraser ? Fewer deep hookings, and fewer snags I'm guessing, but has anyone actually tried this, and to what results ?

This is not a thread to discuss the ethics of bottom bouncing or any other type of fishery, or the "type of crowd" I fish with, or anything to do with a subject other than the question of has anyone had success bottom bouncing the Fraser river with circle hooks
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
Re: Circle hooks for bottom bouncing
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 06:12:32 PM »

I haven't tried with bottom bouncing but with bar rig. I don't find it easier to remove. Wonder if it's my technique or ....

Markthefisher

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 06:25:12 PM »

Uh... Never heard of a circle hook. how does it work?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 06:27:24 PM »

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 06:28:51 PM »

it looks like a 3/4 circle with a hole on the opposite side of the hook. A string is tide to the hook. Supposingly when removing the hook all you need to do is pull the string and it will come off easy.

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 07:27:46 PM »

Umm...Bwibwi, I think you may be thinking of another type of hook. Circle hooks are indeed 3/4 circle, there is no such string contraption that I know of. Circle hooks can be great for bottom fishing halibut and bottom fish. The way they work is that the point is protected, so the fish really swallows the hook BUT, since the point is protected, it doesn't penetrate the fish's gut. when the fish moves away with the bait (and the hook too), the whole thing slides to the mouth of the fish and "curls" around the lip of the fish, this curl is accomplished by the shape of the hook, only then does it actually penetrate the fish's mouth, hence a "perfect hookset." The biggest problem people seem to have with these hooks is that you don't actually set the hook, it may be a little difficult to comprehend, but setting the hook pulls the hook right out without the point hitting anything.
Hope that clears things up a bit...

The other thing that I like about these hooks is tha fact that they really don't even need a barb, the shape of the hook, and location of the point has all the holding power a person would really need.

If it's barbless, and the fish is out of the water, unhooking it shouldn't be too difficult, with a barb, and it's a whole new game, you literally have to tear a part of the fish's face off, but when hali fihsing, you kill most of what you catch anyway.

Now that we have that out of the way, back to the original question... ;D
« Last Edit: September 12, 2005, 07:29:44 PM by Spudcote »
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

Spudcote

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 06:44:41 AM »

I think you answer your own question spud.  Circle hooks from what I have seen are strictly for bait fishing and are designed to protect a fish from being hooked deeply as you noted.

Well, flossed fish dont bite (right) and they are hooked on the outside of the mouth (not the inside).  I dont know if circle hooks would hold a fish...they just might. But their true design was to protect fish from swallowing the hook -  and that will never happen while flossing the fraser.

I'll stick to my 4/0 gammie thanks!

mojoman

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 06:49:14 AM »

hmmmm...I guess these hooks could be of value to some....I prefer to pay attention to my line and set the hook long before the fish even thinks of swallowing the fly/hook....but is prolly a good hook for the "drishers" out there..... :o

mojo...your milage could vary...;))
Lou will turn things around with his game and the Canucks will make their way back to the top of their division... Canuck's have a great chance of going all the way this year... maybe you can save this post so I can say I told you so in a couple of months Smiley

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2005, 09:06:59 AM »

hmm very interesting read the circle hooks article sounds like it might work. but for flossing thats a different story. i might have to give it a try. :D

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2005, 09:24:54 AM »

You are on to something.  This is what I used during this last sockeye season.  I never foul hook a fish at all, using it.  It only hooks a fish on the mouth and the circle configuration make it acts like it still have a barb.  I only lost a hook fish once due to severe tangles with other anglers. ;)
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2005, 09:45:36 AM »

Now that is an angle I didnt think of: avoiding foul hooked fish ie back, belly, tail, etc.

You claim the lost fish rate is low Matuka...I may have to look into circle hooks next year - altho I didint body hook a single fish once this season.

My impression is that they are for big game - they are big beefy hooks...can you get a 3/0 or 4/0 that isnt the heavy gauge wire as seen in the pics on this thread????

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2005, 10:21:54 AM »

Salmon are big enough fish.  The important thing is that it is a win/win situation for the salmon runs and the anglers. I use 3/0 for sockeye and 4/0 for chinook.  I think once people have tried it, they will always used it for this kind of fishing.

Some other fishermen seen me using it and the expression on their face was that I don't know what I was doing.  But they also seen how I limit out before they could get one.  This could catch on and become a positive change in BB.
1.  Is it the TRUTH?

By Herbert J. Taylor

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2005, 10:31:24 AM »

I see no reason why it wouldn't work for barfishing. The biggest problem is resisting the urge not to set  your hooks while your rod is bouncing up and down during a strike.

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2005, 10:35:04 AM »

Oh yeah, another advantage is that the point does not get dull on hitting rocks.  The point is protected because of its shape.
1.  Is it the TRUTH?

By Herbert J. Taylor

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2005, 10:52:42 AM »

Hmmm...we may be onto something here boys  :)

I was thinking more in the way that you can bottom bounce for chinook while sockeye is closed, and any socks you do hit, are hooked in the mouth, and can be released safely, at least that was what I was thinking.  :D

Gamakatsu does actually make circle hooks, not sure if they make small enough hooks, but they do make them, and you can get circle hooks made from the same material as "normal" hooks, I actually own some made by Eagle Claw that look to be about a size 2/0-3/0. They are out there, it's just a case of who's used them and to what success.

Jack has said he's gotten fish using this type of gear, and no foul hooked fish, sounds very apealing indeed. May have to give it a shot when I'm over this week end.  :)
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

Spudcote