Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is Island 22 banned from.......  (Read 4582 times)

Carasko

Is Island 22 banned from.......
« on: September 11, 2005, 06:10:42 PM »

Hello.
Last week I made a trip to Island 22 to fish from the shore and I get shocked news... when the lady at the entrance told me that WE CAN'T fish anymore from the shore.I am disable person and this spot is very accessable.I was wondering if they (owners or gov.)can legally do this.I couldn't find any official gov. NO FISHING from the shore signs.We always fish on the left side of the lunch bout area.Can some of you look into it and let me ( us ) know if this spot is closed for ever or just temporarily or I  ( We )can come back and fish there.Thank you for your help.Good fishing to all.Some advices...please.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
Re: Is Island 22 banned from.......
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 06:13:01 PM »

That bar was washed out last year.  There is no spot from what i have been told or at least not a good one anymore.
weeeeeeeeeow!

All Tangled Up

• Go Fish!
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 07:00:52 PM »

I think he's referring to the area right beside the launch. Not a few hundred yards down. I have seen people fish there before and always wondered why they would, with boats screeming around the corner getting so close to them. As for the actual legal part of fishing there, I would think you are okay to do so, just be carefull of the wakes from the boats.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 07:08:18 PM »

anything below the high line, i believe is crown property. so i think you can fish from there. cutting through the island is a different matter.

Nostro

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 08:11:34 AM »

Hey Carasko

Island 22 Campground and Equestrian Centre is a semi-serviced park, owned by the City of Chilliwack and operated under a management agreement with the Fraser Valley Regional District.

Phone: (604) 792-5567 for more information.
Never look a fish in the eye.

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 10:34:48 AM »

this is strange have fished there before and had no problems. but since the washout have not been back so maybe its a safety issue now. will be curious to find out why though ??? ???

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 12:04:24 PM »

a couple of years ago i spoke with the park superintendant. he was telling me they were tired of all the litter bugs and wanted to implement a season pass (fee) to help with the maintenance of the park.

i wonder if that along with the washout had any baring on the whole closure.  ???

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2005, 01:00:45 PM »

a season pass would be a good idea if they put the money towards maintaining the area and perhaps even patrols to curtail the litterbugs and vandals.you litter you pay a fine.you do vandalism you do time plain and simple . if only it were that easy. ;D ;D

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2005, 11:37:28 PM »

Before it was washed away that was an excellent sockeye bar.

ya i loved fishing there. :'(

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2005, 09:00:55 AM »

the far end of island 22 is still fishable however the parks people will not permit anybody to cross over the washed out section to get to that bar. the bar was very good for sockeyes and pinks and the odd springs.

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2005, 09:02:16 AM »

;D yep that bar was fantastic for pinks and sockeye fished there lots during the good old days ;D ;D

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2005, 12:59:29 PM »

the bar at the end of island 22 has another entrence .the road goes through a farmers field however finding the farmer is another question. If you can find him and ask for permission he may let you park and go through his property .

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2005, 01:33:00 PM »

It is a shame that a disable fisher has to lose his fishing spot, considered that many hot spots are not accessible to disabled persons.  With a celebrity like Rick Hansen around, why can't disabled persons push for the government to make fishing spots more accessible to the disabled? I mean, when the Vedder prison camp was around, those pools behind the camp were for the use of the inmates only, and we got chased away when trying to approach it.  So, why can't disabled persons have their spots?  They already live a disadvantaged life.  They should not be deprived of the enjoyment of life, such as fishing. 

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2005, 08:33:53 PM »

With a celebrity like Rick Hansen around, why can't disabled persons push for the government to make fishing spots more accessible to the disabled?
WTH does Rick Hansen have to do with this-because he's somewhat disabled people in chairs should get access built?
Doesn't compute not at all.
The answer is political action and disabled people have to organize themselves.

when the Vedder prison camp was around, those pools behind the camp were for the use of the inmates only, and we got chased away when trying to approach it.
Those runs were in no way reserved for the incarcerated-that is 100% BS.