Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weight on spoons and retrieving spoons  (Read 4753 times)

buzzer

Weight on spoons and retrieving spoons
« on: September 11, 2005, 02:17:52 PM »

Hi.
Just need to get some advice from all you experienced fishermen out there. I'm not really sure if I'm doing it right that's why I'm asking. I am using spoons while fishing for pinks in the Dyke rd (no. 3 rd richmond). I  normally use the smaller spoons and because it is hard to cast I do put some small split shots around  3-4 ft above the spoon. I'm using a 10lb line, No leader and swivel.

Questions:
1)  Is this how you normally do it? where do you put the weight on your line? do I need a leader line? 
2) When retrieving the spoon, do you wait a few seconds before you retrieve or just let the weight go down first few seconds and then retrieve? A guy walking by saw me fishing and told me that I should retrieve really fast and don't let the weight go down because the fish are on the surface.

Any advice will be appreciated.  ;)

Buzzer   

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Weight on spoons and retrieving spoons
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 02:25:39 PM »

Putting weights on while casting spoons can change the way the spoon is supposed to retrieve. I suggest not using any weight. If you are casting a 3/8 ounce spoon or croc you should be able to cast atleast 40feet without weight and thats plenty far enough for these pinks.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Weight on spoons and retrieving spoons
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 04:02:21 PM »

I don't use weights when spoon fishing unless it's a very small spoon such as a Dick Nite. In that case I use a bell sinker approximately 24" back from the spoon.