Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anybody tried Rapala minnow-like lure in the salt for Salmon?  (Read 2346 times)

Straight Runner

Anybody tried Rapala minnow-like lure in the salt for Salmon?
« on: September 11, 2005, 01:18:57 AM »

I tried a very old Rapala 4" minnow sort of lure on St Mary's Lake. It out-fished every other lure we tried there 10 to 1 for the Bass there. I'm thinking about buying a new one to try on Salmon in the salt. The action is very fishy. The old one is too old now, the tail hook pulled out. Anybody tried it?

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
Re: Anybody tried Rapala minnow-like lure in the salt for Salmon?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 07:19:15 AM »

to be honest with ya nope but thanx for the info. :o ;D

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 08:43:19 AM »

I once put out a Rapala CD like the one shown but in Silver-nothing would touch it.
This is a lure that's worked all over the world but no Coho would touch it although they would slam anything else it was a hot bite.

A friend of mine once put out a jointed freshwater Rapala in Campbell River and caught all kinds of fish but those trebles were a problem-very hard to C&R a fish when it's face it full of trebles which are also caught in the net.

YY

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 01:56:30 PM »

I recently purchased some minnow lures for salmon. Haven't tested them out yet. But I've watched a series of video in which a Japanese fisherman used solely minnow lures for salmon in the salt (ex. casting at mouth of cap) and in the freshwater for chum.

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2005, 02:47:01 PM »

I don't like rapals my self cause they are a bit too much $$$, but I have seen some people use them for rainbow and brown trout (big ones).  I thought those things would be deadly for cap coho because to thedepths you need to get to sometimes.  Give it a try and let us know  ;)

J5

Straight Runner

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2005, 10:21:20 PM »

Nice to hear people trying unconventional stuff. Hey Pin Head, what's a count down?