Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quickest, cleanest kill method ?  (Read 6034 times)

WestEast

Quickest, cleanest kill method ?
« on: September 09, 2005, 02:14:26 PM »

As a trout fisherman, I carry a priest and on the rare occasion decide to keep a trout, the kill is over with a single bonk between the eyes. Not so with the pink I just caught lunchtime today. Decided to keep it, but without my priest, had to look around for a rock. Took 4-5 bonks before the fish died. Agggh!  ??? So, what method do you use for a quick, clean kill........???

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
Re: Quickest, cleanest kill method ?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 02:20:19 PM »

1) Bonk on the head, HARD, to stun it or kill.
2) slit along the inside of the outside gill plate, around to the bottom of the chin and then to the other outside gill plate
2) cut (from bottom of fish) a transverse cut, at the "neck"
3) grab all goodies inside the head, and twist. 

This removes all the head related stuff, and allows the remaining autonomous nervous system to pump the blood out for a bit.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 02:32:56 PM »

One good club between the eyes will do the trick. A fist would also work.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 02:55:44 PM »

A fist lol i could just see someone working a spring over on the shore getting some of that anger out.
[

FISHYtheGREAT

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 02:58:41 PM »

Nice way too break some fingers or even a hand floater, I have seen a guy attempt it on a big red once, personally I think he should have hit it on the side of the head where it has more give, instead he wound up and knocked it on the top of the head, needless too say it was his hand against solid skull.....the skull one.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 03:33:53 PM »

small sharp knife in the back of the head, above the center of the eyes, go at least 1 1/2 inch deep,
dead as a road killed possum

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005, 04:00:26 PM »

The original thread refer to killing a pink. My advice about the fist pertains to the pink. Definitely I would recommend something heavier for a spring.

sliverbullet

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2005, 04:12:52 PM »

fist skull id rather use a rock  :-\

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2005, 05:18:08 PM »

My buddy gives the head a quick stomp with this heel (I hate that sound). Then rips the gills out to blead them. I just rip the gills out then whackem with a rock. I keep my sons first aluminum baseball bat that he's outgrown. What the Springs with that - kills 'em quick and the hollow aluminum bat sound is something else - just like a sweet homerun.

Randog

• Ultimate Sportfishing Adventures
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2005, 05:26:33 PM »

'NUFF SAID ;D

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2005, 05:28:49 PM »

LOL, i want one of theM!

Ho whacker

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2005, 05:51:24 PM »

usualy i just through fish straight into the fish box and let the die slowley( the fish isent gunna care.. its just a fish)
other than that I usualy hold the fish upside down and bonk it on the side of the boat.
and my favorate of all time was when i grabed a harrison hatery ho by the tail  and whaked it dead with my fist right between the eyes.
Theres no fish in the harrison I swear ;)

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2005, 07:22:49 PM »

1. If you use one, use the back of a gaff.
2. Find a "long" rock, and you can use it like a club.
3. Make the hit like you would to "slap" it, but have a rock in the palm of your hand.

This works for pinks and coho, but i guess if you found a big enough rock, it would still work. A thich brank can work too.

Once the fish is "stunned", you'll see the pupils dialate, this is the most obvious indicator, cut the gills immidiately after, to cleanly remove the gills, make a cut with a knife at the top of gills, and then pull them, at the bottom, you can cut both sets of gills out with one cut, and sepparate the lower jaw from the rest of the body. This will ensure proper bleeding as the heart will still be beating and pump out a lot of the remaining blood in the animal's system, and it makes somewhat of a handle for carrying the fish around  :P. Let it sit for ~15 minutes, gut the fish (my friend to gills with the knife), and pull EVERYTHING out (just to warn you, the heart would still probably be beating after removal, something the kids may find interesting is that if it stops, you can flick it and it starts up again...). Make sure you get the kidney that runs the length of the spine, use the tip of the knife to cut the membrane encasing it, use the butt of the knife to scrape out ell the black/red junk. The fish should now be relatively clean, wash out the remainder of the blood and other crap and stuff the entire body cavity with ice if you have it.

I've heard of people fishing all week end and not catching anything and the when they finally get one, they punch it to death, quite a spectacle to see.  :-\

This is just for salmon, anyone ever tried to kill a halibut and have it die on the first hit no matter how hard you try !?  :o
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2005, 08:50:55 PM »

my little cousin is for hire  ;)

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2005, 11:05:49 PM »

Randog,

That would also work for treaty negotiations if needed.