Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: home canned pinks  (Read 3800 times)

allwaysfishin

home canned pinks
« on: September 09, 2005, 07:24:47 AM »

anyone round these parts can pinks?
I generally do not fish for pink as i am not fond of them cooked but i was thinking about canning some up. Partly because i have been really itchin to get some fly action going and cohos are still a few weeks away. Canning seems to really improve the flavour of some fish so my question , for those of you who do enjoy cooking up pinks, are they good canned? I mean like better than bbq'ing or baking?? as far as flavour goes? anyone with a secret recipe??

Floater

• Old Timer
Re: home canned pinks
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 01:32:42 PM »

Have you tried to smoke pinks? they taste better then sockeye smoked no joke.
[

Sorsha

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 02:02:37 PM »

You have to be REALLY careful when canning fish or for that matter any protein based food.  You need to use a pressure canner in order to get the temperature up high enough to kill all the nasty bacteria.  Slightly more complicated that lets say strawberry jam.   :)  So unless you have prior experience canning meat products I would advise against attempting it.

Try marinating (some people say brining but that always connotes lots of salt to me) and smoking.

nigglesworth

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 03:26:37 PM »

What is the best way to smoke them?

allwaysfishin

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 03:32:16 PM »

I have over 20 years of smoking/ fish processing experience as well as fruit and meat canning. I just haven't canned pinks and am wondering if they are as palatable as other species of salmon canned.
I have smoked pink and they are good..... but better than sockeye? not with my recipe  ;)
I'm thinkin i will give my pink fillets a light 2 hour smoke, then into the presure cooker for canning.
let ya know how it turns out.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 04:43:14 PM »

Whats your recepie i just put some salt and peppers dont liek to over do it and kill the natural taste of the fish.
[

Randog

• Ultimate Sportfishing Adventures
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005, 04:49:25 PM »

Allwaysfishing,

I just canned up some pink salmon on wednesday and they taste great! I smoked the steaks for about an hour and then placed them in the jars, added 1/4tspn of sea salt, 1 tblsn. of white vinegar, some garlic chunks and a dash of ketsup. Placed in pressure cooker for 1 1/2 hrs. at 10psi and Voila, canned smoked pink salmon.

Good luck

R'Dog ;D

Oh yeah, have to say Thanks to Dlaw52 for the use of the pressure cooker, I'll bring you a sample on Monday
« Last Edit: September 09, 2005, 04:55:22 PM by Randog »

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2005, 05:21:23 PM »

I don't take Pinks anymore but for all other fish we add a sliver or two of garlic in the bottom of the jar and the same on the top of the fish. Course salt and a shot of vinigar to soften the bones and cookem up.

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2005, 07:45:52 PM »

home canned pinks mmmmmmmm

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2005, 08:44:39 PM »

never try canned pink before but I'm sure it's good, i have only smoked the pinks or BBQ them.

fishingbuddha

• Fishingbuddha
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2005, 08:36:15 PM »

i just canned a whole lot of pinks as well. first time. used a canned sockeye recipe which was just 1/2 tsp of salt and fresh pink salmon meat. i will let you know how it tastes. the only other time i ate pinks was when we gave one to a restaurant and they cooked this pink salmon up as fish in chips. very good. a little fishy.

as far as canning smoked pinks...i would have done it this time around but its very time consuming. my recipe calls for 12 hrs of brine, 5-8 hrs of air drying in the sun and up to 8 hrs of smoke. then you have to cut them up and can them for approx. 110 minutes. a short cut to this recipe would be to put only one piece of hard smoked fish in with one piece of fresh fish and then can it. faster process.

I hope that when i die, my wife doesn't sell all my fishing equipment for what i told her i bought it for!

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2005, 09:14:41 PM »

Randog, did you do anything to the fish before smoking them?  Were they in a brine?  Your recipe sounds good and i  have to give it a try.  Thanks.
weeeeeeeeeow!