Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: rumor or not  (Read 4878 times)

funfisher

• I'm a llama!
rumor or not
« on: September 07, 2005, 06:50:18 PM »

Just heard a rumour that they are extending the opening for sockeye.  Is this true?

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
  • Get The Feeling, Toyota!
Re: rumor or not
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2005, 07:21:33 PM »

Have to wait until the notice is posted today to know for sure.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 07:24:19 PM »

If there was to be an extension, the notice would have been posted by now.

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 08:01:30 PM »

Yah if heard the same rumor but i refuse to believe it i mean they kept us out for so long now an extansion this would be a pretty sad comedy.
[

allwaysfishin

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 08:43:47 AM »

the last notice was confusing as it did not confirm the closure dates issued on sept 2nd , it said instead that the fishery would close according to the coho conservation plan. We were told we would receive an update on Sept 7th and no update was issued. DFO needs to be held to task for this as hundreds of anglers are confused. If they say an update will be issued on a certain date they need to realize that people EXPECT that update. Being a tackle shop employee at one of the lowermainlands busiest shops our phone rings non stop with folks enquiring for information on these fisheries. Also our telephone fishing report has turned into a DFO notice report lately and there is not enough room on the recording to get a proper report in, those of you who call it will know what I mean. We don't necessarily beleive it is fair for DFO to use tackle shops as the grease that keeps the info wheel turning as we have customers at the counter that experience a lesser standard of service than they would normally expect because the phones are going off every 2 minutes for information on sockeye openings.
When we fill the role as an up to date information source we expect to be notified on time. DFO has dropped the ball by not issuing a notice yesterday. Much the same as the salt water notice they put out on the 2nd of september, telling anglers that area 29-3 was open in one paragraph then strangley, in a lower paragraph listed it as closed. Confused a hell of a lot of anglers and I am sure resulted in many sockeye harvested in a closed area. I placed calls to DFO to have this clarified and they reissued the notice on tuesday, Sept 6th to amend the original notice to say that 29-3 was indeed closed. Anyone with fines for killing sockeye in 29-3 from the 3rd to the 6th would have a pretty good chance of having any charges thrown out of court.

anyhow..... i'm babbling and I'll stop now  ;D

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
  • Get The Feeling, Toyota!
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 08:17:50 PM »

Hmmm still no notice. Way to gain confidence in the system by saying something and not delivering on it. Oh wait it's a Liberal government were dealing with, that's a no brainer!

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2005, 08:21:31 PM »

Worse than that.... It's a BEAUROCRACY we're dealing with  :o

allwaysfishin

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005, 11:18:37 PM »

when i picture these morons making these decisions.... i picture a round room with a bunch of dolts who know nothing about what they are trying to accomplish walking around bumping into everything with confused monkeylike expressions, turning to each saying hmmm what should we do? hmmmm i don't know..... hmmmmm natives gots guns ,...... hmmm non natives are passive sheeps hmmmmm let's just do what the boss in ottowa who knows diddly about the salmon tell us what to do. they want the restless Fn's to be quiet and happy , give em the fish.... but there's not enough.... don't for get the endagered ones..... oh but it's ok.... 20 years from now our kids will be able to blame the dwindling stocks on the FN, we'll come out clean as a fresh bleached business shirt, and hell all the liscence money won't have top be spent on conserving stocks that are gone.... it can go to general revenue again ..... yippee.... hey let's grab some starbucks and pat ourselves on the back for ............

you get my point.... I am obviously at the point where DFO/FOC and the liberal agenda are things I wish were not part of the present Canadian system, these morons MUST be voted out of office next time around.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2005, 12:06:46 AM »

Do you really think the Conservatives or heaven forbid the NDP's policies are going to be any different. ?  I somehow doubt it. Frustrating. >:(

rerigger

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2005, 05:00:39 AM »

their policies may be different
but the beauracracy will remain the same

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2005, 06:45:16 AM »

gong show on the river as well as gong show in the halls of government?  At least that is consistent.

Barbless

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2005, 09:16:38 AM »

the last notice was confusing as it did not confirm the closure dates issued on sept 2nd , it said instead that the fishery would close according to the coho conservation plan.

I was just on the DFO site and the coho conservation plan is as follows:

The following measures will be implemented to protect Thompson River coho.

Fraser River - Mission to Hope

Effective 00:01 hours September 8, 2005 to 23:59 hours October 7, 2005, you may
not use bait when fishing for salmon on the Fraser River from the CPR Bridge at
Mission, BC upstream to the Highway No.1 Bridge at Hope, BC.  You also may not
fish for coho or sockeye salmon in this area during this period of time. 
Chinook and pink fisheries remain open at current limits.

Fraser River  Hope to Sawmill Creek

Effective 00:01 hours September 10, 2005 to 23:59 hours October 13, 2005, you
may not use bait when fishing for salmon on the Fraser River from the Highway
No.1 Bridge at Hope, BC upstream to the confluence with Sawmill Creek.  You
also may not fish for coho or sockeye salmon in this area during this period of
time.  Chinook and pink fisheries remain open at current limits.

Fraser River Sawmill Creek to Alexandra Bridge

Effective 00:01 hours September 21, 2005 to 23:59 hours December 31, 2005, you
may not use bait when fishing for salmon on the Fraser River from the
confluence with Sawmill Creek upstream to the Alexandra Bridge.  You also may
not fish for coho or sockeye salmon in this area during this period of time. 
Chinook and pink fisheries remain open at current limits.

So it looks to me like the sockeye will not be opening further.