Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My fist Pink salmon one question though about the fight!  (Read 8558 times)

Trazdar

My fist Pink salmon one question though about the fight!
« on: September 03, 2005, 10:13:02 PM »

I have finaly cuaght my first pink salmon when i went up to go for sockeye.  The salmon was  not a nice bright chromie one though it was a tade darken up ( green was starting)  Now my question is.  The Pink salmon is that the weekest fighting salmon?  I'm asking this becuase it really did not put up  that much of a fight at all sure it pulled and that but it did not spin line off my real and my real is not set to high either.  For those that know what a Large Mouth Green Base is. What Salmon will give you that kind of fight and better.  I know the springs are supose to but are the pinks supose to or is it just when they are not chromie they no longer have the fight in them. 

A side note i'm not putting down the salmon fishing i'm just wandering. since this was my fist salmon in BC.  Just wandering what ones are close to it..  Thank you  ;D

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
  • I.AM proud to be a canadian fisherman!!
Re: My fist Pink salmon one question though about the fight!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2005, 10:24:50 PM »

Besides Springs,the next biggest fighter in the river would defanatly be the sockeye.But wen the coho come in they will be stronger than the sockeye.When the pinks are chrome,if your using fairly light gear than they usually take out a lil bit of line, thats from my experience.But it all depeneds on the sizes i think.

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2005, 10:35:33 PM »

Sorri,forgot bout the chum but I dont think that pinks are generally stong,however they do pack some pretty good tugs but give in fairly eesy.But it might all depend on how clean the fish are sumtimes.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2005, 10:48:41 PM »

My opinion is that pound per pound the chum is the best fighter, followed by the springs. Way to go Trazdar after all that practicing at the mouth of the Seymour. :D

JL

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2005, 11:04:18 PM »

To me, its springs, chums, sockeyes, coho, pinks

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2005, 11:24:53 PM »

well it looks like everyone has different ideas about this subject,so there isent really a right or wrong answer i think.

bigguy

• Old Timer
  • what?? You want me to GET OUT and go fishing?
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2005, 12:28:06 AM »

Chum are known for very tough fights!  Right behind springs.  The smallest salmon is the Kokanee!

lowlight

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2005, 04:28:59 AM »

Rainbow trout are the smallest salmon ;)

bigguy

• Old Timer
  • what?? You want me to GET OUT and go fishing?
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2005, 01:40:14 PM »

they are of the same general family, but the Kokanee up here are quite a bit smaller than the rainbows!  ;)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2005, 01:53:02 PM »

Trazdar, in a week or two from now when you manage to hook some pinks around the tidal Fraser River, you'll know the difference between these and the ones you caught further up around Chilliwack.

Gear selection has to be considered when targeting a specific species as well. A heavier setup would make a pink salmon feel like a wet rag.

My favorite is still the coho salmon. In October, seeing that float disappearing so fast on the Vedder just after dawn is what gets me out of bed at 4am. A hookup is never guaranteed when that float dips, but when a coho is connected, you're in for a wild ride. A ocean fresh coho in the tidal Fraser that slams on a slow retrieved spinner is also very thrilling. I've had coho that grabbed the lure just several feet from shore and immediately went for a 50 meter dash. If your drag is set too tight, the line simply snaps right away (that happened to Perch once, I saw the whole thing ;) ).

meca_357

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2005, 02:12:11 PM »

I agree with Rod.. the best fight is a coho fight they just shake their head so hard that ur just praying that the hook wont pop out yet u have to stay focus on keeping that rod up and the line tight. However let the drag go cus as Rod said they just sit in one spot for a sec shaking their head and out of no where they run 50 meters up river no problem... when a fish can run up river that fast you know ur in for a fight with a tremendous and strong fish...also u gotta think that when u compare a coho fight to a spring fight  i say they are just as tough yet a coho goes up to 20lbs if ur lucky while the average spring is 20+ lbs so... to me fights from body weight to capability of fighting ratio it goes
Coho
Spring
Chum
Sockeye and pink are pretty tight the only thing is that some pinks are lazy while every sockeye is crazy active

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2005, 08:28:46 PM »

i love fishing for cohos, but i think the king of the 'fights' would have to go to the white springs.
nothing like a good thumb burn to remind you how powerful they are. :o

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2005, 08:37:15 PM »

In my experience - pink salmon on the fly are excellent sportfish.  I've had many take me into backing.  Right now I'm using a 7 weight Sage XP and it's perfect for these "little fish".  I do have to admit - coho are my favorite salmon on the fly.  But my favorite overall sportfish is the Kamloops Rainbow Trout on a 5 weight trout rod!  Pound for pound, the Kamloops bows are one of the hardest fighting fish - and that includes coho!

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2005, 11:51:02 PM »

A fresh Coho is a prized fighter for its wild runs & endless headshakes.  During my early fishing days, the fresh Squamish chums used to be my most feared fish on a light rod with size 2 gammies - straightened in no time.  Steelies are awesome fighters, particularly during the warmer months of March/April.  Sockeyes are easy to bring in when hooked.  They follow you like a dog, until they are near shore, and watch out - torpedo runs, jumps, flips etc.  Pinks are easy in the tributary rivers like Vedder.  But hooking on some big males on lighter gear in the Lower Fraser will give you quite a tough fight.  If you are fishing in a pier, be ready to see your rod bent under & into the water when the fish go underneath the pier.  Tough fighter indeed. But the king of fighters  for me  has to be those mightly Fraser springs.  One of them literally ran so fast that my Silex smoked & the steel pin melt down during the run because of the heat.  No it was not a Thompson steelie, just a rare red spring about 25 lb. I have not encountered another one like that one since.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2005, 11:57:55 PM by funfish »

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2005, 09:17:58 AM »

Ahhh - the old "coho roll"!  I love it, and hate it, when they do that!