Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Musqueam fishery closed  (Read 2775 times)

searun17

• Old Timer
Musqueam fishery closed
« on: August 31, 2005, 12:53:13 PM »

Just heard on cknw today the commercial fishery protest has been cancelled or curtailed due to dfo announcing that they have closed the musqueam sockeye fishery,is this a attempt by the government to stop hell from breaking loose on the river or are they actually thinking about fish conservation,Either way i think its a step in the right direction.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Musqueam fishery closed
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 01:28:14 PM »

is this a attempt by the government to stop hell from breaking loose on the river or are they actually thinking about fish conservation,Either way i think its a step in the right direction.

It's too late on both counts.

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 01:59:25 PM »

FA in some ways you are right it is a little late there could have been closures sooner,but take into account how the runs have been late showing up this year,there are still plenty of fish in the system and more to come,as long as there are fish in the river anything that is done to limit the native overfishing has to be seen as a positive.The main thing that i question with this closure is it with the best interest of conservation in mind or is it just part of the governments agenda to calm the commercial fisherman into not having a protest fishery,either way the result will meen more fish to the spawning beds.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 02:12:00 PM »

it makes it much easier as a sportfisher, to lend support to commercial boys when you see them stand down when thierr point is taken by DFO. To hear of the Musqueam closure is great news, but will the Musqueam stay off the water. Kudos to the commercial sector for taking a stand today.
just too bad in our day and age when people have to resort to drastic measures to get goverrnment to do the right thing.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2005, 02:15:19 PM »

The main thing that i question with this closure is it with the best interest of conservation in mind or is it just part of the governments agenda to calm the commercial fisherman into not having a protest fishery,either way the result will meen more fish to the spawning beds.

Yes, I question DFO's motive on this as well.

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2005, 03:32:37 PM »

hopefully the musqueaum closure is just the beginning,if other first nations are not closed as well i cant see the musqueam staying off the river for long.Most fn should allready have more than enough fish.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2005, 03:39:00 PM »

Conservation will only work if others do their part. What is the point if the sockeyes are allowed to go through the lower portion only to be intercepted in the upper portion by the Musqueam's brother, the Cheam Band ?

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2005, 03:51:12 PM »

yes every group has to do thier part wich hasnt allways happened, to me that is the most frustrating part,with a combination of low funding for policeing and the politics behind it all to many inequities are allowed to happen.