Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gear selection help  (Read 1989 times)

Nikko

Gear selection help
« on: August 31, 2005, 11:35:59 AM »

My eldest is graduating this weekend, from "kid" to teenager and it's time to get him his own rig to help celebrate. I've not bought a rig for some time and could sure use some help/advice. Here's what I know:

He's a regular sized kid and growing
He's new to casting, but somehow picked it up on his second attempt (using a spinning reel).
Most of his fishing will be light gear in (local) salt water (Indian Arm is the home waters).
He'll be salmon hunting for as long as his attention span will let him, but no doubt there wil be bottom fish to fill the gaps and inevitable boredom (No, he won't be catching bottom fish in the arm!).
I have fresh water gear for him to use and if he heads off down that path, I'll deal with it when it happens.
Our boat is small (14') and crowded (usually 4 people)
His bedroom ceiling is 8' tall
new/used...as long as it's decent and in good shape
His parents are on a very limited budget :)
He tends to wonder "why" things broke after they're broken, rather than try not to break them in the first place.

I'd like a rod/reel/box/starter gear

Any ideas or recomendations?

Nikko

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
Re: Gear selection help
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 11:51:35 AM »

Hi Nikko,

Canadian Tire sells a package, with telescopic rod (easier to store and transport around on bikes) reel, line and lures.
It's sensitive enough for chubs, and good enough for a 2' dogfish   ;)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Gear selection help
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 12:07:14 PM »

I would suggest Army and Navy. You can pick up a reasonable combo at a reasonable price.