Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Globe and Mail article today  (Read 2535 times)

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
Globe and Mail article today
« on: August 31, 2005, 08:49:43 AM »

Boy - Certainly getting a lot of press from the Globe....Toronto's Newspaper is trying to win readers out here I think.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050831.wxbcfish31/BNStory/National/

Gooey

• Old Timer
Re: Globe and Mail article today
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 09:48:47 AM »

Notice the articale states: Conservation officers monitored the water from helicopters and vessels yesterday but did not find any protest activities, Mr. Savard said.

Are they that diligent with FN Poachers????

And 40 court cases are expected???? What happened to DFO conficating 200 nets this years....shouldnt that be 200 court cases?

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 10:04:12 AM »

Apparently they caught the same 40 guys doing things 5 times  ::)  Yeah, the numbers game.  Geesh.

Nice to see that they can afford helicopters and observers for these things, but don't seem to be able to afford monitors to stop FN's unloading their catch at illegal unloading docks. :(

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 12:16:40 PM »

DFO slant on the facts.

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2005, 02:18:07 PM »

All we can do is help the DFO catch poachers, sellers and buyers.  The DFO have limited resource, so we should do what we can to help them catch the criminals.
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2005, 04:04:40 PM »

Talked to Phil on this a few days ago and suggested we get people on the ground to track these sales, as it would be a good follow up to the filming Rodney and I did over a week ago of the fishing activity in the Ladner area of the Fraser. He was busy with the proposed protest fishery but glad he found the time to get some info. that will be very helpful in the future.

Anyone else that has similar evidence should document it for future use by the SDA and others. This will in a small way will help curtail this activity that drives this illegal fish sales. If you are willing to share this info, PM it to me please.

Enjoying a day off today in Qualicum Beach, just touring, may check out the mouth of the Nile later today.Good to have a day just doing nothing after completing the Senior games, some buisness in Duncan and a fishing trip to Victoria.

Lots of pinks to catch around Race Rocks, we were trolling which is not my cup of tea but was fun to see another different area to fish. Saw some good springs being cleaned at the cleaning table as well. Got some good pink roe from our fish as well, so well prepared for the coho in the Vedder. ;D ;D

Heading for Port Alberni or Bamfield tomorrow.

Sorry to Hyjack this thread a bit