Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: headless  (Read 4032 times)

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
headless
« on: August 30, 2005, 10:56:13 PM »

Was out fishing today and a fisherman was packing up his fish with no head or tail on his spring. So I went over and politly told him that he needs to keep the head and tail on till he gets home.He said he was told by other fisherman that it was ok. I corrected and told him that for his sake I hope that dfo is not waiting at his car. >:(

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
Re: headless
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 11:19:42 PM »

good job letting him know.

doesn't anyone ever read the booklets given to them when buying a license?  >:(  it's all in there.
rules and regulation, identification of species, ethics, etc.  i think it should be mandatory prior to purchasing the license.

anyone can make an honest mistake, but come on, basic rules and regulations? all written in black and white.  the mistake he made, was FAILING TO READ THE FRESHWATER REGULATIONS SYNOPSIS...PAGE 11 BOTTOM (BOXED) PARAGRAPH, under sub heading provincial regulations.

PLAIN AND SIMPLE....NO EXCUSES!!!

little fish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 01:22:08 AM »

According to the regs you are allowed to remove the head

"The head of your salmon can be removed only if the length with the head off is equal to or greater than the minimum legal size of that species for the waters in which it was caught. Leave the tail attached so the species can be determined, For example, if a chinook salmon is caught where the minimum size limit is 62 cm and it is filleted and packaged for transport, one of the fillets must have the tail attached and be at least 62 cm long. If necessary
the fillet can be cut into two pieces; the tail must remain attached to one of the pieces. The fillets should be placed side by side in one bag making it obvious that they represent one fish, and the bag must be labelled with:

the salmon species - e.g., "one chinook"
the number of fillets - "two fillets"
the number of pieces - "four pieces"
the angler’s name and fishing licence number."

lowlight

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 02:10:09 AM »

I don't know about you guys, but I never got a rule book or anything when I bought my licenses at Berry's.

Keeping the head on is common sense though.

rob.l

• Pick up your trash boys and girls!!
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2005, 07:11:41 AM »

I will often take the head and tail off and just pack it all out with me, if the fish is to big for my backpack. I've been stopped once by dfo and checked over. They said they had no problem with that.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2005, 12:18:37 PM »

I don't know about you guys, but I never got a rule book or anything when I bought my licenses at Berry's.

Keeping the head on is common sense though.

It's available next to the counter.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2005, 12:28:06 PM »

Because you cut it off but you still kept the 'parts' 8)

I will often take the head and tail off and just pack it all out with me, if the fish is to big for my backpack. I've been stopped once by dfo and checked over. They said they had no problem with that.

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2005, 12:59:27 PM »

So long as you have the head and tail with you its ok if they are severed from the rest of the fish.  It is easy enough to puzzle the fish back together on inspection.  They are very reasonable people. ;)
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2005, 03:58:55 PM »

This guy threw the head and tail in the river.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2005, 05:43:55 PM »

That's a no no.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2005, 06:06:32 PM »

The head does not have to retained UNLESS their is a minimum or maximum size limit. Its a pretty simple rule.....

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

JeniB

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2005, 06:14:11 PM »

The head does not have to retained UNLESS their is a minimum or maximum size limit. Its a pretty simple rule.....

Sort of.  There is almost always a minimum size limit.  You only have to retain the head if the limity comes into play.  For example, if the minimum size of a retained salmon is 30 cm and the length of the salmon is greater than 30cm without the head then it does not have to be retained.  If the fish without the head is under the minimum size then you do have to retain the head and so on.

Salmon are and exception to the rule with regards to this.  With most other species the head does need to be retained.

grandpa

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2005, 05:24:38 PM »

Just rember the old adage . Ignorance of the law is no excuse or defence .   Many people have found that claiming ignorance of the law sure didn't pay , in fact after a spate of this type of excuse some judges have been known to increase penalties to those trying to use them ,