Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: PINKS! August 30th  (Read 5167 times)

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
PINKS! August 30th
« on: August 30, 2005, 05:39:33 PM »

Headed out at 2:30 with roe man for some pink action by the portmann bridge. On arrival many pinks were boiling close in and quickly hooked into 2 fish, but both came off after a 1 minute fight. Then realized the tip of the hook was pinched in >:( >:(Quickly switched hooks and fished for another hour or so with my luck. Couple fellows beside me landed 4 or so.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 07:06:16 PM by Rodney »
weeeeeeeeeow!

lowlight

Re: PINKS!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 05:43:22 PM »

Are they already past Richmond or something?

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
Re: PINKS!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 05:51:19 PM »

guess so
weeeeeeeeeow!

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
  • I.AM proud to be a canadian fisherman!!
Re: PINKS! August 30th
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005, 07:16:06 PM »

Hey,im taking someone out tomoro and wondering if the pinks are around annicis island yet (spincasting wise)

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 07:29:09 PM »

lol, pinks are throughout the entire river now
weeeeeeeeeow!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Finally, first of the season!
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 07:30:11 PM »

Despite the light rain, we ventured out again this afternoon for a few hours of pink salmon fishing. This fishery comes once every two years, so we will go out whenever there is an opportunity. ;) What a great way to spend the afternoon, spincasting with few of your closest friends, and hooking the odd fish to keep us entertained. :)

Fishersak phoned me just when I was sneaking out of my house at 1:30pm. It was a race to the spot. ;) I arrived first, but only to find Perch and his dad already fishing away. :o They had been there for over an hour, how sneaky. ;D Fishersak arrived few minutes after me, followed by Trout Slayer.

Once we settled down, it was fishing time. Perch had already hooked three fish before we arrived, an indication of better things to come. :) Soon after I started, I had several hits close to shore but managed to miss them all. ::) About 15 minutes after the first cast, the first fish was hooked just meters away from shore. This fish came up to the surface, rolled a few times, but didn't perform any runs. It looked exhausted, possibly an escapee of a gill net. :o I decided to retain it, as most likely it was not going to make it. A chrome doe around 6lb was on the beach, thanks to Trout Slayer's perfect net scoop. :)

I proceeded to hook three more, but only landed one of them. It was an energetic male that I released quickly.

Then everything died down. :o

Trout Slayer managed to land and release one around 3:30pm or so. From then until about 5:00pm, it was rather quiet. I almost thought about leaving, but a few small taps kept me around.

Then fishersak was into a fish! :o This fish took a few long runs, we were praying that it would not come off the line. ;) I walked over with my net, and scooped it up once fishersak guided to shore. It was a chrome looking male, which he decided to keep as this was his first of the season! ;D

Soon after, Bwi Bwi, LukyYVR, FishOn, badboi arrived to see the action, or the lack of action. ;) Just after Bwi Bwi picked up a couple of lures from me and left, I was into three fish in 15 minutes. :o There must have been a school going by. ;) I decided to keep one of them, the small female, which was bleeding quite a bit.

Chrome Mykiss later showed up with his dad, who managed to hook two in a row but lost them both. :-\

Overall, I feel that the fishing is still quite slow, the fish are coming in small schools and fairly scattered out. Water clarity is still fair so reducing the chance of a fish hitting your lure.

Day four, hooked 7, landed 5, kept 2. A satifying fishing day in BC indeed. :)

Few things to remember
  • You need a tidal sportfishing licence when fishing in the tidal Fraser River.
  • You need to purchase a salmon conservation stamp if you intend to keep your pink salmon.
  • Daily quota for pink salmon is four fish in tidal Fraser River.
  • Daily quota for chinook salmon is four fish in tidal Fraser River, but only one maybe over 50cm.
  • You may only keep four salmon (mixed species) in total per day.
  • Only a single barbless hook is allowed on the lure.
  • You must release any sockeye carefully.
  • Pink salmon have large oval spots on their back and tail. Sockeye salmon do not have spots. Chinook salmon have tiny black spots on its back and tail.
  • Complete tidal Fraser River salmon regulations can be found on this page.
  • Report all fishing violations to DFO Steveston 604-664-9250.
  • Make sure you have a good fillet knife to clean your catch and a cooler with ice to keep your it fresh.
[/size]

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2005, 07:32:39 PM »

thanks alot ;D

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2005, 07:37:24 PM »

ya,lots of peeple were saying that they say sockeye and pinks jumping everywhere.my frend jamie also sed that he saw them everywhere,but im still yet to see one :P

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2005, 07:41:59 PM »

lol, ya thats what its starting to look like but those pinks are crazy and will just show up at anygiven time really. i actually jus got bk from east sooke and mostly all of the fish,even pinks, are swimming at 60-90 ft.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2005, 07:45:55 PM »

in that case  you had better email rod so he can fix this dilemma........2 days for me and 2 fish.

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2005, 07:56:36 PM »

wut delema?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2005, 07:59:11 PM »

wut delema?

Seeing pinks jump and catching them.

*Lil Fisherman*

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2005, 08:05:58 PM »

well i am just talking about east sooke and i dont really kno ahole lot of fishing places cept for brownsville,stevston and im looking around annicis island tomoro.ya i dont wanna cuz any delemas, im jus trying to figure out where to fish

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2005, 08:12:09 PM »

We saw almost no risers today by the way. If there are no surface action, it doesn't mean there are no fish.

lowlight

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2005, 08:12:15 PM »

Dammit where is this spot? I was out for an hour today by myself. Weather was kind of miserable, and after snagging and losing a lure after absolutely no bites, I was done for the day.

Usually I see a sockeye jumping every minute or so.. This time, nothing. Weather slows them down?