Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pink Salmon Recipes  (Read 21752 times)

badboi

• I'm a llama!
Pink Salmon Recipes
« on: August 26, 2005, 08:03:06 AM »

Anyone have any good recipes for Fraser River Pinks?

lucky

• Old Timer
Re: Pink Salmon Recipes
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 09:19:30 PM »

Usually I just cook them on the barbecue, but today a native friend told me how they cook them, he said that they chop the fish up and put in a pot of water, chop and add some onions and seasoning, and then add oolichan oil and boil it for about 10 minutes. I think he called this dish mulligan? apparently its very tasty and the oil enhances the flavour of the fish. But im not sure where you would find oolichan oil, maybe someone else has heard of this cooking method?

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 09:52:46 AM »

try this recipe:   fillet your pink and cut into about two to three pieces.  mix together maple syrup and soy sauce.  depending on the size of your pink, i say about 1/2 cup of maple syrup and 1/4 cup soy sauce.  marinate for about 4 hours and you can either BBQ it with the skin down and only BBQ about 3/4 done as it will still cook after you remove it and it keeps the fish moist and not dry or put it into the oven until done.   It is really good and moist.   it's great all year round and great if you have lots of pinks. 

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2005, 12:47:37 PM »

sounds yummy
weeeeeeeeeow!

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 04:16:09 PM »

this one is a crowd favourite, and I have even been asked to prepare it for a wedding...

take your fillet, and spread a good amount of red miso paste over it (available in most asian sections of grocery stores).
Take a nice handful of brown sugar, and sprinkle over that....then a handful of finely chopped ginger over that. Bake until just about done, then switch to broil to crisp the top layer up.

Killer
You don't make friends with salad.

bruce

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2005, 01:55:25 PM »

someone knows how to cook the roe ?

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 12:23:29 PM »

I didn't have any maple syrup left, so I used honey. It actually taste really good.
4 parts honey and 1 part soy sauce.

Randog

• Ultimate Sportfishing Adventures
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2005, 06:08:54 PM »

Fillet salmon, then mix one package of shake and bake crispy and one cup of "Fish Crisp" and bake in oven. Awsome!!

The trick to good pink salmon is starting with fresh fish. As soon as you catch one, clean it and get it on ice right away. If you don't all you have is a bunch of mushy cat food :o

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2005, 10:43:30 PM »

someone knows how to cook the roe ?
All i can think of is making caviar out of it to do that you just take some water put a hole load of salt more the better there cant be too much. Boil the water then let cool for 4 mins put the roe in the water let sit for 5 mins. Take the roe out and separate the eggs from the membrain to do this you just take your hands and slide them off to the side its easy. After that you wana spread out all the eggs and put a paper towel on them to absorbe the moisture then your rdy to put some on a cracker or french bread and enjoy. I personaly hate caviar but my dad makes it lol.
[

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2005, 07:48:44 PM »

cut the salmon into steaks or fillets brine it with 1 tablespoon pickling salt to 2 cups brown sugar (must be done in non metallic container with lid or saran wrap cover) do this for a minimum of 1 hour rinse off salmon to remove salt ( or pick it out piece by piece which can be tedious and hard to get all of it out) if rinsed cover with more brown sugar put back in fridge until it liquifies for the most part then barbecue.  The end result is deeeelicious  ;D
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 01:01:19 PM by Eagleye »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2005, 07:53:07 PM »

Fillet pink. Salt and pepper, then spread on a layer of mayonnaise, top off with paprika and fresh dill. Bake in oven 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Yummy !

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2005, 09:14:49 PM »

I like to use alot of honey, both in the marinade and in a brushed on sauce over the bbq...then sear it up!  It caramelizes the more exposed parts and mmmmmm, they are superb! 

Ive tried cutting it "butterfly" style but i cant seem to get the technique down perfectly...I'm always left with a few bones that dont pull away
easily

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2005, 10:33:32 PM »

Wow yesterday my mom cooked a pink from the fraser...AND MAN WAS IT GOOD.
weeeeeeeeeow!

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2005, 09:22:01 PM »

Ive tried cutting it "butterfly" style but i cant seem to get the technique down perfectly...I'm always left with a few bones that dont pull away
easily

I'm not sure what butterfly style could you explain? If your just left with some pinbones use a good pair of hemostats or forceps to remove them.

**edit** I have since seen someone perform this technique and it is a good one.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 01:04:42 PM by Eagleye »

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2005, 04:30:17 PM »

Try this one.  4tbls butter 2tbls honey 2tbls brown sugar and crushed garlic(fresh). mix together and pour over your fillets. Taste great on all salmon.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day