Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Whats the problem with driftnets???  (Read 7663 times)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
Re: Whats the problem with driftnets???
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2005, 11:33:06 AM »

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2005, 12:29:15 PM »

Blade, grow up. 

#1) I advocate a floss fishery when the stocks permit AND when there is retention for socs on the fraser.  I do not advocate C&R of socs as a by product of a spring floss fishery. 

#2) by catches are a part of any fishery.  you notice that the albion test fisheries have netted sturgeon.  Both set nets and drift nets will catch sturgeon possibly even birds on rare occasions (I cant say for sure, but it sounds like you know).  So whats worse: a sturgeon or Thompsn coho/steelhead that has run into a set net thats checked once a day or that same fish that has just run into a drift net that is checked every drift.

I cant speak for native fishermen, but being involved in the commercial industry at one point myself, I can tell you we made a significant effort to release steelhead etc and the sooner we found them in the net.  Simple fact is that the set nets are monitored like a drift net so release from a set net would be far less successful.  This would particularly be true for sturgeon which are a tough fish and if found quick enuff will recover from a net.

Thats just my opinion based on some experience from within the industry....what knowledge do you have to sit on your high horse and attack me???

#1)  by selling bouncing betties outside of retention, you support the flossing industry (whether you realize or not)......sockeyes have also been caught by way of 'bar fishing', so who don't you protest them too.

#2) you're referring to 'incidental catch' which in many cases under test fisheries, have been documented and noted in their data bank to indicate the kill rate percentage of their methods.... that's how they come up with net regulations and size that they pass on to commercial fishermen.  DO you think FN do the same thing?

#3) ooh very admiral, to release a steelhead that's been struggling in the nets for a while (notice i didn't specify a lapse time).  I wonder what the survival rate is for that? besides, if a driftnet is monitored like a set net... how is the release from a set net, less successful?  now who's the my friend wipe? also any fish caught by its gills has a minimal chance of survival :P

as far as experience goes, i was a qc and fish inspector for a major seafood storage/distributor.  every once in awhile, i would work side by side with a division of DFO that went undercover to confiscate illegally attained fish.  i saw first hand how they documented and how they reallocated these fish.  i've learned more than you realize, from the four years that i worked with them. the company i worked for helped process and store those fish.

tell you what, i'll get off my high horse and stop attacking you, if you get off your high morals and stop whining about everybody else.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 12:57:48 PM by blaydRnr »

Markthefisher

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2005, 08:26:41 PM »

Well said! Gooey, Mabey you should spend more time on the water fishing and less time in front of your computer bitchin' about everyone else's views.  Go flyfishing or something relaxing.

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2005, 09:24:29 PM »

LMAO!!!  Everyone has some good points here, I can't take any sides on this one,
Fish on!

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2005, 10:06:00 PM »

You know, we are all full of piss and vinager right now...so what the hell, lets let'er rip!

I just spent 45 minutes on the phone with a guy who sat on the pannel that set the sockeye openings from 87-91 (i think that was the dates he mentioned).

Anyhow I know you are some big shot fish inspector who maybe worked with dfo on occasion to do a sting...wippy fricken do.  I have worked om a commercial boat, volunteered at hatcheries, and picked up bits and pieces from this family friend over the years ...but thought I should give him a call tonight just to touch base.

Here is what he had to say on a bunch of things:
- one of the most "deadly" fisheries on the fraser are set nets in the canyon
- lots of bands CAN NOT fish set nets because of the area the fish and the geography/flow of the river (mostly applicable to lower river bands)
- his opinion is that limitting FN fishing to drift nets in a tight geographic would be "ideal"
- the cheam have always represented a large portion of the poaching problem but more often than not it is one person/family within a tribe that creates most of the damage
- you babble some nonsense about "documented and noted in their data bank to indicate the kill rate percentage of their methods" 
- His comment regarding sturgeon in test fishery numbers: not assumed dead
-sturgeon often arent gilled, they hit the net and roll
-his opionion is that survival of sturgeon caught and released in test fisheries is "very high"

He had a ton of info, I probably could have gone on for another hour with him but its late and i needed to put me kids to bed.

Yes I sell BBs, I have sold 8-10 fishermen weights this year and 1 retail shop...I havent sold any since july (prep for sockeye  season), I  certainly have very little reponsibility or control as to when my weights get used (ie during a soc opening or for springs when socs are closed).  so dont spread your bs here. 

And where in this thread am I "whining about everyone else", I simply stated a few of my opinions on driftnets!  Suck it up cup cake!

If you want to debate me in an intenlegent manner (ie i offer an opinion/ point of view and you offer a counter arguement) then great lets talk...other wise shut your yap as your piss my friend job hasnt provided you with a shred of real knoledge on this subject and I am tired of you flapping your gums.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 10:07:34 PM by Rodney »

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2005, 11:36:23 PM »

you talk about my lack of knowledge yet you're the one who started this thread without doing your homework. if you're so friggin well informed why the hell did you have to consult your friends after the fact? why not before ?

you are a $hit disturber and you know it. not just about this thread, but on other threads where you've insulted other members.  if you can't take it, don't dish it....CUP CAKE!

you talk about your own experience. what, a deckhand on a friggin' trolley? whoop ti fkng do, to you too!  volunteering at a hatchery, congratufukenlation is that where you got your masters degree in bull$hit?

who said anything about me doing a sting operation? if you want to converse and debate in an intelligent manner shouldn't you learn how to read first?

at least when i babble you can understand what the hell i'm talking about.

ok. you've asked about the sturgeon survival.  did you bother asking about the steelhead?  don't pick and choose just to cover your butt. you want to scrutinize my every word, fine. just make sure you give the whole 'picture' when you try to get advocates to back you up.

you have a habit with 'playing on words'.  maybe you should analyze your own  motives and agenda before you analyze mine.

"you have no control over how people use your weights"  (duhhh)  what the hell do you think they're doing with a 2-3 oz betty? ...... here's a hint BOUNCING betty, BOUNCING...B..O..U..N..C..I..N..G...
BOUNCE...BOUNCE....BOUNCE.... get the picture yet?

(this is what i meant by you 'playing on words') this is where you lose credibility. but then again, maybe you should ask a buddy or two.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 01:43:50 AM by blaydRnr »

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2005, 07:04:55 AM »

BR I noticed your age isnt indicated in your profile (I was starting to think your're a child) but apparently at one point you were in the work force...maybe you are an old crockety F*** now, I do not know...all I know is that this was started as a debate on using driftnets to harvest sockeye.

Its now obvious I have to spell things out for you:

On me selling weights (sorry for having to be off topic again...someone wont let it go):
- I have not sold any weights since the sockeye opening dematerialized.
- Much like a gun manufacturerer, I am not responsible for those who use my product irresponsibly.  I said "I have no control over how people use my weights (I meant ethically or not IE inside or outside a soc opening - sorry you didnt catch on to that)"... I also said "I advocate a floss fishery when the stocks permit AND when there is retention for socs on the fraser.  I do not advocate C&R of socs as a by product of a spring floss fishery."  I have asked you once already, how that position is hypocrtical and asked you to reply on the flossing thread or PM me...you did neither.  I also asked you to offer intelegent feedback...which you have yet to provide as well.  frankly, with the comprehension level you show...maybe you should just stay out of any debate.

One last question, you said:  "by selling bouncing betties...you support the flossing industry"... when is the last time you bitched out Mr Sleeman for "supporting"  drunk drivers?  After all, Mr Sleeman makes beer right?!?

So shall we get this debate (DRIFTNETS VS SET NETS) back on track or do you want to analyze/attack me more?

Are there any questions IE steelhead mortality in sockeye nets, that you would like me to ask my contact or has there been so much bitching that this topic is dead now.

Anyone interested in this topic still?  If not, please dont post and bring it to the top again, just let this thread fall off the list.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2005, 08:41:22 AM »

Gooey IF sockeye ever do open I could use some bb's  ;)
Actions speak louder than words.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2005, 09:04:27 AM »

ROLFLMAO...no problem biff...I got tonnes to spare as of right now  ::)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2005, 10:51:04 AM »

Quit the personal attack please, resolve it over PM. The topic has drifted to something else. I haven't had a chance to read everything in here so it is now locked so I'll have a chance to go over this later on today or tomorrow.