Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Halibut  (Read 6846 times)

tyee slayer

Halibut
« on: August 22, 2005, 10:26:35 AM »

Just curious if anyone had some good recipies on how to bake halibut?
Once a "Slayer" but have grown to appreciate and practice the art of catch and release

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
Re: Halibut
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 04:42:42 PM »

you don't need to do too much to halibut, especially if its fresh. try taking a fillet and putting it on a greased roasting pan season it with salt, lemon pepper, and dill. add clumps of garlic butter and white wine...cover with foil and cook in a preheated oven for about 15-20 minutes at 300 degrees. depending on how big the fillet is, i would recommend checking it after 10 minutes. press down lightly on the flesh. if you feel it starting to slightly flake,  take it out. last thing you want to do is over cook it.
use the dripping as a baster, just before serving. i guarantee you'll love it. ;D

tyee slayer

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 05:16:15 PM »

hmmm sounds good  ;D
Once a "Slayer" but have grown to appreciate and practice the art of catch and release

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 12:56:14 PM »

just limeted out in halys up at port renfrew and we usually just cook em with lemon juice.YYUMM
weeeeeeeeeow!

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2005, 09:09:12 PM »

I love halibut in all its forms, but one recipe I did a while back was REALLY good, different too than the usual methods.  I cubed it up in inch and a half sections, and put a bunch of it in a ziploc with ...if i can remember correctly, a little bit of mustard, some olive oil, a little salt and a little more pepper..there was something else in it but i forget what it was now...probably the most essential ingredient but lets pretend it wasnt.  I just mixed the bag around then skewered it up with some fresh peppers, onion, and cherry tomatoes, and grilled it up.  It was delicious....its been a while since Ive had halibut to cook so forgive me if I forgot something important..cheers!