Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: advice pls?  (Read 5068 times)

fengyuanfei

advice pls?
« on: August 09, 2005, 01:53:28 PM »

Hi, I have to make my mind up on the following offer:

Fishing season is here! I have a mooching outfit: used Daiwa Jupiter Graphite J90 10 1/2' medium action rod rated for 10-25 lb and a new Abu Garcia Diplomat 420 Graphite Reel 17 lb/420 yd, 20 lb/360 yd for $65

Is this a good deal? I want to go mooching for cod on the weekend...never done before.

Thanks for your opinon

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: advice pls?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 01:55:12 PM »

You don't really need that outfit for cod

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 01:57:04 PM »

Is it overkill?  Would it work for him?  It IS only $65  ::)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 01:58:53 PM »

Is it overkill?  Would it work for him?  It IS only $65  ::)

You have a valid point DS

fengyuanfei

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 02:12:00 PM »

I guess it is a deal then?

Now that I have the experts on the line, how would you go about fishing for cod/snapper (anything) from a little row boat in a quite bay on Maine Island?

I have never been saltwater fishing before and need your help on line weight, bait, technique, depth, in one word ALL.

Thanks

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 09:31:09 AM »

You can jig for them using a variety of jigs or use herrings or anchovies fished off the bottom.

FISHIN MAGICIAN

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2005, 11:21:09 AM »

yup. herring on hooks lowered to the bottom, with a larger weight depending on the depth. Check your regulations. I believe the LIMIT is one. Lingcod are still closed. So, you may want to figure something else out?

fengyuanfei

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2005, 10:38:01 AM »

How do you selectively NOT fish for cod but still go after snapper, or whatever else is in the water off Maine Island?

Thanks

copperspoon

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2005, 11:49:30 AM »

First off it's the wrong reel for that rod but a decent enough deal.

"How do you selectively NOT fish for cod but still go after snapper, or whatever else is in the water off Maine Island?
Quite simple-you don't.
The truth is that there's almost nothing left because the excesses of the past have devastated rockfish stocks all around the Gulf Islands.
That's why so many areas are now closed and the few that are open have a one fish-a-day limit.

Do the fish a favour and forget about the whole idea.

fengyuanfei

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2005, 01:10:09 PM »

I checked the regs, couldnt find anything about closed areas for region 18, and the only ban is on Lingcod. Nothing mentioned about day-passes either. Can someone clarify pls?

Thanks

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2005, 02:38:40 PM »

fengyuanfei:

Regulations in Area 18

Area closures

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Tidal/area18_e.htm

Subarea 18-8 and that portion of Subarea 18-7 that lies between a line from a square white boundary sign on Vancouver Island, near 48°46.179'N and 123°34.654'W, to a square white boundary sign on Saltspring Island south east of Burial Islet, near 48°45.992'N and 123°33.777'W, and a line from a square white boundary sign on Saltspring Island approximately 1.5 nautical miles east south east of Musgrave Point, near 48°43.982'N and 123°31.418'W, to a square white boundary sign on Vancouver Island approximately 0.5 nautical miles north west of Cherry Point, near 48°43.197'N and 123°33.708'W, are closed to fishing for all finfish from August 1 to October 15.

In a portion of Sub-area 18-8, those waters of Cowichan Bay inside a line from a fishing boundary sign near Separation Point on Vancouver Island to Wilcuma Wharf are closed to fishing for all finfish from August 1 to October 31.
Map

In Sub-area 18-10, the waters of Fulford Harbour inside, or northwesterly of a line between a fishing boundary sign located near the navigation light and Jackson Rock on the north shore of Fulford Harbour, across to a boundary sign on the opposite shore, a single hook restriction applies from October 10 to January 15.

Daily quotas

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Species/fintable_e.htm

Retention for lingcod is closed.

Daily quota for rockfish (all species) is one.

Before you proceed to fish for rockfish, please read this webpage.

fengyuanfei

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2005, 08:49:36 PM »

Thank you very much Rod, appreciated.

fengyuanfei

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2005, 11:47:39 AM »

Finally ended up buying a cheap rod/reel combo for #50 from Army and Navy and a Floorwalker from Barry's tackle in Richmond.

Went out on Saturday just before high tide to Miners Bay north of Mayne Island, and fish were eager to bite anything. We were mooching with Herring, Hootchie Kootchie and got dogfish on the line almost instantly. They were big enough to bite the line off before we could try and get the hook out.

After half hour and no herring left I tried the Floorwalker and got a nice Lingcod (and released it). I had no time to measure it but would think 15lbs at least from looking at the picture?

Sunday at the same time, same spot, NOTHING, not a nibble. (but some nice rock crabs were in the trap at least)

That was my first time saltwater fishing, my arms still hurt from all the reeling, it was great though.