Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pilke minnow  (Read 8008 times)

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
Pilke minnow
« on: July 17, 2005, 11:28:40 PM »

I can onyl cath bull head ans norther pike minnow since i ama a very novice fisherman does anyone have any good recipies? ???
weeeeeeeeeow!

No_way

Re: Pilke minnow
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 11:33:39 PM »

Perhaps you should ask Rodney to delete this thread.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 11:35:55 PM »

yes ADANAC POSTED that message.....sometimes that kid acts like hes is 2
weeeeeeeeeow!

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 02:19:14 PM »

Yes you can eat both. In Ont many people eat Bullheads all the time, they call them Mudcats and they are real popular back east. As for Pike Minnows I am told they are good smoked. Of the many people I know personaly who have eaten them, the complaint was "Too many bones", not taste.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2005, 09:36:21 AM »

Rodney says he knows some Chinese guys who make fish cakes from Pike Minnows by punding them a lot.  Does anyone know how this works?  What do you pound them with?  Do you add any seasonings?

No_way

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2005, 03:52:45 AM »

Rodney says he knows some Chinese guys who make fish cakes from Pike Minnows by punding them a lot.  Does anyone know how this works?  What do you pound them with?  Do you add any seasonings?

Well, since there have been no replies from people who already know I have done some digging. While information like this may fill the internet, I wouldn't know if it is not in English.  I am familiar with the fishcake to which Rodney (I think is referring), I eat it all the time, but I see it mostly as a ready made item in stores.  The closest recipes I can find are of a Japanese item called either "surimi" or "kamaboko".  As we already knew it is pounded (and I mean truly pulverized as in a mortar and pestle which would explain why the bones are not an issue) often mixed with a binding agent such as corn or potato starch and then steamed.  The finished product is sliced then most often stirfried or added to soup and is very delicious.

As for seasoning, the directions I found on the internet make no mention of it, but the product I am familiar with is seasoned but very lightly.  I will use my modest culinary understanding to tell you what I would use if trying to approximate the item I order in Chinatown.  All are very common seasonings to Chinese cuisine: salt for sure, I would also try modest amounts of light soy sauce, fresh ginger and garlic, and a touch of fresh coriander (also sold as cilantro or Chinese parsley) and white or black pepper.  All  but the coriander (including a tad or cornstarch) would go into the pounding process.  Then form into cakes about 1.5 cm thick and steam. 

Go easy on the seasoning and I don't see how something inedible could be the result.  You should end up with something about the same texture as imitation crab but a bit courser.  As I have found out, imitation crab is a form of kamaboko.  So are fishballs which you might know.

That's my guess.  Let me know.