Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: West Vancouver/Point Grey Report, Sunday July 17.  (Read 2280 times)

FISHIN MAGICIAN

West Vancouver/Point Grey Report, Sunday July 17.
« on: July 17, 2005, 04:34:03 PM »

Hey guys. Have to say first off, I wasn't on the water today, but this report is based on information that I got from interviewing Anglers as they returned to the Vanier Park launch in False Creek where many people launch from.

Got down there about 10 am and it was a nice calm morning and quite a few boats were showing up and launching.

Left about 3 pm.

The first boat I interviewed came back with 1 chunky 6 lb Coho which was in prime shape. The obliging angler, an acquaintance of mine as a regular at the launch stated that he found his Coho at 55 feet on the rigger on a Green and White Hootchie. It was taken at 8 am, about half way between the fisheries and the pink building.

As the morning wore on, the sun climbed higher, it got hotter, and a rising Northwesterly wind started blowing. It went from ripples, to slop, to about a 2 foot chop with full on White Caps, making the remaining anglers arriving at the ramp glad to have packed it in.

All in all, my total survey included 15 boats until 3 pm at which point boredom and the need for lunch sent me to the lunch line up.

The remaining 14 boats reported fishing Point Grey, Atkinson, and West Vancouver to the Lions Gate and all had similar remarks "It's dead out there" and "Not a Bite" and "It's rough out there"

2 of the boats I spoke to reported fishing Point Grey for the majority of the trip before heading to West Van to join the crowd.

Speaking with another Gentleman down there, another old salt who fishes primarily during the weekdays, he reported nothing as well from his Wednesday trip.

Ah yes, the summer doldrums.

that's all guys, and sorry to say, I haven't seen a July this quiet for years.....folks...the whole fleet basically skunked..1 fish for 15 boats all trolling 2 rods and likely averaging 4 rods a boat, them's not good results for July.

Either the fish are late this year, or something is drastically wrong. 

No word on how the local charter fleet has made out this weekend, but my understanding is that yesterday was slow, and indicators are from the private people out today that there wasn't much of anything going on.

I have this coming Wednesday off work, so I will likely have a report to file then when I get out in the chuck.

Straight Runner

Re: West Vancouver/Point Grey Report, Sunday July 17.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 08:49:35 PM »

Thanks for the report Fishin Magicain. Any further updates on any die hards who braved the wind longer or out further today?

PS: I was talking to a guy who was adamant that during the flood was the best time to drift mooch or troll the basement for springs off the lighthouse at the Cap. I've only done it for the hour after the high as the current pulled out. Never on the flood.

THE FLASHER

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 09:39:55 PM »

Fishin Magician

Let me get this straight.  You spent 5 hours at the boat launch when you could have been fishing.  What a waste of a perfect day of pottential catching.  If I was a guide with your experience and a perfectly good boat I wouldn't be hanging around the dock doing a creel survey that I wasn't getting paid for.

Oh by the way I hooked a 20# spring @ the Bell Boy @ 8:30 this morning, the water was like glass.  If you were hangin out @ Mcdonald Beach launch you might have found this out.  YEE HAA

Straight Runner

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 09:59:03 PM »

Congratulations Flash. You got me pumped again.

FISHIN MAGICIAN

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2005, 10:30:32 PM »

Good for you flasher. Way to go! :) You were one of the lucky ones. You outfished all of the boats that I interviewed.

Good to see that there is at least one out there. :)

thor

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2005, 07:33:09 AM »

Took a 10# out for the Bell Boy yesterday as well. My fishing partner and I had a total of 7 hits, 5 to the boat, 4 undersize and 1 keeper.

The bite got hot and heavy around 11:00 - 12:00.

Found that the keeper (white spring - male) had a stomach full of feed (feed was about 4 inch long)

Found that a green flasher, long leader (8 foot) with a army truck (glow) teaser head did the trick.

FISHIN MAGICIAN

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2005, 10:22:16 AM »

That Pt. Grey Bell Buoy always holds a lot of undersize springs which move around dependent on the tides. My report was for "keepers" only.

So, that makes 3 KEEPER fish out of the fleet so far.

Was your fish a "mature" fish or a "feeder" spring?

thor

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2005, 02:18:13 PM »

Fishin Magician:

It was a a feeder, whilst it did have all of the required parts,  they where not what I would call "mature" and ready for spawn.

FISHIN MAGICIAN

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2005, 07:28:20 PM »

:o

WOW!~

If you caught a 20lb feeder--meaning that it was not going to spawn this year, that was pretty extreme, and unusual for this time of year around here. If it were April, I could see it, but a 20lb feeder is a real trophy type fish for this time of year, since it is in it's prime and it must have looked BEYOOTIFUL!

Your fish is exceptional for around Vancouver at this time of year, and usually, most of these fish have moved on.

:)

Congratulations!

FM