Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Fireline XDS  (Read 3487 times)

pinkwool

New Fireline XDS
« on: July 11, 2005, 02:46:27 PM »

Tried the new Fireline XDS. I just love it. Everything they say about it is true, and the line is much better than anything I have tried so far: Spider Line, Whiplash, Fireline, Stealth, Tuff Line XP (my previous best pick). The main positive point about this line - it doesn't entangle itself even if your spool rotates a bit faster than the line comes off - so out of 20 or so times I had zero birdnests or break offs. This line also has much better abrasion resistance that anything else - which means it does not get cut so easily by the rock. One thing I would ask them to do is to add more colour choices (the dark green is not that visible as yellow or pink).

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: New Fireline XDS
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 03:48:31 PM »

Does it cut into your spool ?

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 04:13:11 PM »

I spooled up with 50# of this XDS and fished it hard all last year. The green does start to come off and starts to expose a yellow underside. It almost makes me think they took the old line and ran it through some sort of coating process. The bizzare part obout this line is that after repeated use it increased in diameter. Almost as if it absorbed and retained water. It is now starting to fuzz-up as the old line used to but at a much slower rate. The 50# did not once bury itself into the spool - that claim held true and that's why I bought it. Super knot strength. No birdsnests which was awsome. What would have normally become a birdsnest was sinply a wrap or two over itself - one quick pull of the loop and it easily slips out - sweet. 50# is scary stuff though - I long bombed one out at Pegleg and snagged onto something that just started pulling like no tomorrow - I'm sure it was a sturgeon heading upstream. This scarred me - I grapped a leather work glove and couldn't stop the line. I yelled for my buddy to hurry over - grap the other glove and try and stop the line. Couldn't stop it. My line was steadily peeling up river - nobody was hooked onto me. I had my bud bring over a paddle and we made 5-6 wraps around it to bind the line - finally it broke off at the swivel. Man I would have been screwed by myself - I would have had to cut off $30 worth of line to save my reel and/or rod.

pinkwool

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 04:23:37 PM »

I will se how it goes till the next year.
finally it broke off at the swivel
Did you use 60# or more leader?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 04:24:09 PM »

Does it cut into your spool ?
Yes, it has happend to me. I dont find it any differnt than the orig. stuff, except for the fact that i like the colour better. I haven't used it for bottom bouncing yet but I will when the meat fishery opens.

Thanks Nicefish. Think I'll stick to my Tuff XP

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 11:15:42 PM »

I will se how it goes till the next year.
finally it broke off at the swivel
Did you use 60# or more leader?

No, not 60#, I always use 20# bb leader. Even for Sockeye. No pissing around playing them. Crank two Socks in and get out. If I get a Spring before the Socks - good. If not, it doesn't matter, I don't like the funny people so I get my two and off I go.

Like I say, it was a bizzare hook-up. I don't need to experience that again.

As for Tuff-line XP, I'm trying this for the first year and so far I really like it. I'm using 65# just to keep the diamerter of the line from burying itself. One thing I do with these superlines now is to always ensure that when I click the spool release off, I rel in a bit just to keep the line 1/4" away from the edge of the spool. Just in case of a snag and you start haulling on the rod driving that line against the side of the spool. I havent had a problem since. Also stepping up to the Abu7000 has really made the world of difference.