Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Land owner convicted of destruction of fish habitat in Langley  (Read 2129 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

http://www-comm.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/pages/release/p-releas/2005/nr048_e.htm

VANCOUVER – Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) today announced that a conviction has been obtained for unlawful land clearing and stream diversion on rural Agriculture Land Reserve (ALR) lands in Langley, British Columbia. Adrianus Gysbertus Olsthoorn has been found guilty of one count of destruction of fish habitat contrary to Section 35(1) of the Fisheries Act. 

In the summer of 2003, approximately four acres of forested wetland and stream channel in the headwaters of West Creek were logged, cleared and levelled for agricultural use.  This area was a high value habitat area that provided water, food, nutrients and winter refuge for wild coho and cutthroat trout. 

Wetlands are critical to fish habitat productivity and provide habitat for many species of birds, mammals and amphibians.  Wetlands are also essential in holding and purifying surfaces and groundwater.  A wide range of historic land use practices in the Lower Fraser Valley have led to the loss of wetlands.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada is actively working with other federal departments and provincial ministries as members of the Partnership Committee on Agriculture and the Environment to implement the Environmental Farm Plan (EFP) Program.  The EFP provides information and guidance to farmers interested in voluntarily improving environmental conditions on their farms.  DFO understands the need to work cooperatively with the agricultural community for optimum protection of fish habitat and is working with the B.C. Ministry of Agriculture and Lands to increase awareness within the agriculture community.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada reminds everyone that protection of fish habitat is all of our responsibilities.  As was highlighted by the judgement in this case, an area can make an important contribution to fisheries even if it has no fish and when a habitat becomes dry in summer. In the Fisheries Act, fish habitat is defined as “spawning grounds and nursery, rearing, food supply and migration areas on which fish depends directly or indirectly in order to carry out their life processes.” 

Persons wishing to report fish habitat damage or any other violation can call the toll-free violation reporting line at 1-800-465-4335.

-30-

For more information:

Jeanette Lam

Communications Officer

Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Pacific Region

(604) 666-2872

fisher88

Re: Land owner convicted of destruction of fish habitat in Langley
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 11:15:08 AM »

I think someone who worked there told me about this.. He didn't seem to care about what they were doing!! he said they got a baco and went in to demolish it in a way. Then the fisheries guys came and fined the man like 40 g's.. maybe this is a different story but this is what i heard.
If you aint dutch you aint much!

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
Re: Land owner convicted of destruction of fish habitat in Langley
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 12:44:11 PM »

Ya wetland is really important part of ecosystem. Not just for fishes but also for waterfoes. Look at Burnsbugg its another important wetland that is still being threatened. And I hope property owners or tenants would just abide to the law that there is no construction allowed within a certain distance along 'yellow' and 'red' taged streams or rivers.