Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rosedale bridge  (Read 4903 times)

oddjob

• woof woof
Rosedale bridge
« on: July 06, 2005, 04:34:28 PM »

I have seen alot of people fishing about a 1/4 mile west of the rosedale bridge near the boat launge,is that area shallow or can fish be caught from there.The flat area looks like a parking lot with accses to the fraser river as soon as you step out of your car. Has that area got a name ?

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
  • Get The Feeling, Toyota!
Re: Rosedale bridge
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 05:30:15 PM »

I don't know if it has a name, but you can catch fish from that area and when the Sockeye are open it's full of people.  I saw natives tending to there nets just above the bridge an hour ago. Are they opened or closed?

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 06:24:16 PM »

according to what i have read  ,the first nations people are not permitted to set there nets durring this closer of the fraser river .

allwaysfishin

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005, 06:56:26 PM »

if you see nets in the river at this time. CALL THE RCMP, AND your nearest C.O. office. if you have no luck with that call me, thomas, at berry's bait, 273 5901, i will see that the appropriate authorities are contacted ASAP. any vehicle or boat plate or "K" numbers and the exact location will be essential. the tools for enforcement are there, now we gotta use em.
P.S. FOC/DFO has requested that sport anglers do not bottom bounce for springs at this time. the fact that a HUGE majority of people either don't care or don't know and are bottom bouncing anyways, may be why the natives are deciding to fish "unselectively" as well.
they just may be saying to each other, hey, didn't dfo tell us we were closed to fish and that they were going to "ask" the sporties not to floss right now????? well hell if they're gonna floss springs, i'm gonna get my net.

you see this situation has two sides. neither is right. I love bottom bouncing for springs but have chosen to honor the request by DFO. frankly i won't be surprised if the natives go for an all out fishery and ignore the dfo closures. this will of course lead to them shutting down the river to avoid the demise of the early stuart run.

sorry for hijacking this thread, the mention of nets and the news that folks are flossing as usual ticks me off.

SockeyeJunkie

• Where's the steelhead sherpa?
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 07:51:29 PM »

How/ where do you find out about DFO's request on this and/ or any other items. I went to their web site but I can't find it there.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 09:18:33 PM »

I don't know if it has a name, but you can catch fish from that area and when the Sockeye are open it's full of people.  I saw natives tending to there nets just above the bridge an hour ago. Are they opened or closed?
I just checked into this and they were granted a ceremonial opening from 8 hours to 16 hours today to catch 10 chinooks and any by catch of sockeye. They were to use a 8 inch mess so the catch of sockeye should be small. :-\ I wonder out loud why they had not saved some fish from their previous legal and unlegal openings so not to impact on the Early Stuart run. :(

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2005, 09:45:37 PM »

Because they SOLD them Chris  >:(

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005, 11:24:15 PM »

Because they SOLD them Chris  >:(
Of course thet did. :o

rerigger

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2005, 05:03:36 AM »

are bouncing betty's for sale at berry's bait ???
 ;D ;D

allwaysfishin

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2005, 08:40:45 AM »

Yes Rerigger, they are. along with a myriad of other tackle. As an employee and the voice of the fishing report, Berry's has made it clear that we support the request by DFO to use selective methods for springs at this time on the fraser, until such time as dfo deems the area between Alexandra bridge and Mission is void of early stuart sockeye. Several tackle shops, who's owners I have personally spoke with, support this action as well. That said, this is a "request" by DFO, if it was a "regulation" bouncing betties would not be on the shelf.

rerigger

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2005, 10:54:39 PM »

last year i heard selective fishing methods included short leaders
well bouncing
i don't remember reading anything to the contrary this year

maybe we should just shut down the whole coast to all but hatchery fish

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2005, 01:08:30 PM »

Yes Rerigger, they are. along with a myriad of other tackle. As an employee and the voice of the fishing report, Berry's has made it clear that we support the request by DFO to use selective methods for springs at this time on the fraser, until such time as dfo deems the area between Alexandra bridge and Mission is void of early stuart sockeye. Several tackle shops, who's owners I have personally spoke with, support this action as well. That said, this is a "request" by DFO, if it was a "regulation" bouncing betties would not be on the shelf.

Good to hear guys are being sensitive to this request. It looks really good and kudos to those who have chose to use selective methods only during this time.
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?