Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Salmon Fishing in Fraser  (Read 2736 times)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
Salmon Fishing in Fraser
« on: July 04, 2005, 02:00:50 AM »

I have question in regards to salmon fishing in Fraser.
Since all salmon caught in the upper Fraser has to pass lower Fraser.  How come it is easier to fish for them in the Chilliwack area then
in Richmond area?

No_way

Re: Salmon Fishing in Fraser
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2005, 02:32:17 AM »

I've fished the lower Fraser a lot.  Here are some of my theories on that question.  Please take into consideration the fact that I have no scientific proof for these theories  :)

The first note is that the fish caught in the lower Fraser also tend to be the smaller salmon and jacks.

I think that the pure volume of water is higher lower down (i.e. fewer fish per cubic meter of water). 

Perhaps there is a period of adjustment the fish go through before they feel like eating in fresh water, and the farther up the river you go the more fish have gone through this adjustment?

Maybe water clarity is an issue?

I know that most fish are in the faster/deeper water of the river wish is out of casting range in places I've gone fishing (Langley/ Fort Langley).

Aggression is part of the Spawning transformation, it's possible that farther up the river fish are more likely to take bait in a agressive fashion that allows us to hook them.

The answer may be some, all, or none of these things.

Your thoughts?

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2005, 11:20:28 AM »

While I have next t ZERO experience in the lower fraser I have heard many people talk about fishing it.   None of those people are talked about BB'ing (hardware or bar fishing seemed the 2 most common). 

Could it be that the are no flossing areas down river?  I would say there are more people bottom bouncing the fraser than bar fishing...so it may just be the fact that the mid - upper fraser is more "flossable" than down below.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2005, 11:34:45 AM »

Flossing in the estuary Fraser... ;) You'll end up having your bouncing betty embedded in mud despite the strong push by the tide. ;D

Don't be discouraged BwiBwi, salmon fishing around here is difficult this time of the year due to poor conditions. Once September rolls around, the water will be clearer, lower, you'll find plenty of salmon around here.

Salmon are incredibly aggressive at this end compared to the Fraser Valley. There will be spring jacks around late August, they can be caught by barfishing with roe. Pinks will be plentiful in September. October and November are the months of coho and chum salmon. For coho salmon in estuary Fraser, you can either bottom fish with roe or spincast. If you are roe fishing, expect some frustration from having the bait eaten by other species (bullhead, bull trout) from time to time. I prefer spincasting, as the fish will take a artificial lure really hard. There have been times when I had a coho followed a spoon to shore and commit to the take just before the spoon is lifted out of the water.

Why is it harder to catch salmon here? No_way covered it pretty well. There's much more water here than the Fraser and tributaries in the Fraser Valley. Water is deeper, the fish are usually migrating instead of holding. The tide is also a major factor, which can switch the fishing on and off really fast.

fisher88

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2005, 10:41:35 PM »

learn something new every day!!!!..  I heard once that a salmon has 'lockjaw' in the lower fraser. They said it takes a while for the salmon to adjust, (by the time they are at upper fraser they are perfect).. Probably wrong, please correct me!!
If you aint dutch you aint much!

The_Roe_Man

• I like ROE!
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2005, 10:55:32 PM »

I do not think salmon have lockjaw when they enter the lower fraser. It has been my experienced that fish that have just entered the rivers are the most eager biters.
I like ROE