Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: gary point fishing question  (Read 2483 times)

fishingbuddha

• Fishingbuddha
gary point fishing question
« on: June 28, 2005, 11:43:32 PM »

this weekend i took my son (22 months)  fishing for his first time to the steveston bullhead derby. he caught his first bullhead (10.5 inches) which was one inch short of the longest fish. anyways, this brought back many memories of my childhood since i grew up bar fishing for bullheads, flounders, tommy cod, shiners, chub, salmon, dollies, sturgeon and even crab from gary point.

i was wondering if people still catch crab, shiners and tommy cod from gary point?  in those days (late 70's-late 80's) a lot of the fish like tommy cod, crab and shiners were caught off of the wharf just east of the first bay at gary point.  also, gary point wasn't a park it was a large sand dune that was created from all the dredged sand.

i was also wondering if anyone has ever caught a steelhead bar fishing from gary point area?
or what other fish have you caught from this area? 
just curious. ???
I hope that when i die, my wife doesn't sell all my fishing equipment for what i told her i bought it for!

Double Underhooks

Re: gary point fishing question
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 09:55:57 AM »

I've tried Gary Point a couple of times but only got some bullheads (not over 10" though  :o). I haven't seen anyone crab around there either.
I think alot of the species that were once there are now non-existant or in very low numbers.

But speaking of Gary point and the Richmond area, has ANYONE caught any salmon yet?  ???
I heard you can see them swim along the shore at Gary Point when they come in large numbers, won't they end up at London's Landing then? or do they go around to the other side of Shady Island?

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 10:02:24 AM »

I think your talking about the pinks

Double Underhooks

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 10:09:21 AM »

Your probably right Ivan, the people who told me this said it was later in the summer (I personally haven't seen them come through)

I'm just wondering if there is a certain 'path' the springs take when passing through Richmond. Don't want to waste me time fishing where the fish aren't  ::)

fishingbuddha

• Fishingbuddha
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 11:42:43 PM »

its my opinion that around steveston the springs just cruise on by in the deep. pretty tough to catch from shore. perhaps its different towards 5rd-8rd.

also, pinks don't run until later in the summer.
I hope that when i die, my wife doesn't sell all my fishing equipment for what i told her i bought it for!