Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: bar fishing rigs  (Read 4801 times)

shrek

• I'm a llama!
bar fishing rigs
« on: June 26, 2005, 05:46:25 PM »

Hi I am looking to start bar fishing in Richmond and I was unable to find a description on how to set up a bar rig.  Also any good areas to fish around Richmond

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: bar fishing rigs
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 06:23:30 PM »

No_way

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 02:05:28 PM »

I've used to bar fish a lot in the the lover Frazer for Coho.  Here are some tips that I find help.

Be careful when buying prepackaged bar rigs (and I always buy them).  Often they have "t"s that are far to short for my liking.  Really, the longer the "t"s the better as far as I'm concerned.  It lets you use longer leaders on your hooks without them wrapping around the rest of the rig when casting.

Use fairly heavy hook leaders, but not any heaver then your mainline.  If you hook the bottom it's better just to loose a hook and not the whole rig!  Heaver leaders helps them not to tangle.

If you like fancy things, tie a snap swivel to the end of the hook leader rather than tying a loop.  It lets you bait up your hooks while some are still in the water.  Reel it in, change the hooks, cast it out again.  If you bust off a hook it's usually at the knot on the swivel and not your main line.  Snagging your lead is a different story  :'(

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 03:47:11 PM »

Buy the "T" arms and make your own. Most tackle shops carry them

The_Roe_Man

• I like ROE!
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 07:15:52 PM »

what pound test do you use for leader. 12 lbs?
I like ROE

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 08:54:00 PM »

Depends whether you're fishing the upper or lower Fraser. I use 10 on the lower Fraser.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 10:17:34 PM »

what pound test do you use for leader. 12 lbs?
It may sound a bit heavy but to lessen the amount of burning of your line just above the hook caused by the friction of the spinning of the glow use 50 pound test. Many a nice spring has been lost including by yours truly a time or two when I got lazy and did not change the leader. After your line has been in the water for a few hours check it and you will feel a nick there.

The other reason to use a heavy leader you line does not twist as much when casting out especially when using 12 or heavier bar weight. This tips are for fishing the bars in the Chilliwack area where the current of course is stronger than in the lower.

Hope this helps some.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 10:19:22 PM by chris gadsden »