Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser anglers' dialogue process with First Nations  (Read 4343 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Fraser anglers' dialogue process with First Nations
« on: June 20, 2005, 12:18:52 PM »

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishy_news/050620.html

A resolution dialogue process between Fraser Valley anglers and First Nations has been proposed and planned. The proposed meetings will be facilitated by Jessica Bratty of Fraser Basin Council. DFO and RCMP will also be present at these meetings. The recreational anglers are represented by selected members of the Upper Fraser Sportfishing Advisory Committee. The goal of these future meetings is to create better understanding between both user groups of the same resource and eventually develop a better management of the Fraser River fisheries.

This dialogue process was first suggested late last year after the Fraser River season was over. A month ago, Stolo Tribal Council put forward four questions for the recreational angling representatives as they want to have a better understanding of who we are before any meeting proceeds. Members of the Upper Fraser Sportfishing Advisory Committee met with DFO and Fraser Basin Council a month ago to develop a letter that went out to the Stolo Tribal Council today. The letter addresses our concerns and expectations of this process. Once the letter has been read by members of the First Nations, meeting dates will hopefully be proposed so the process can begin.

This is a small step towards a better Fraser River fishery, but the process is a long one. The social and environmental issues that we hope to tackle can not be solved at a few meetings. If relationship between the two major user groups of the same resource can improve in the long run then there just might be hope for the Fraser River fisheries and fish stocks.

To view the letter, please go to this link:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishy_news/file/050620.pdf

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Fraser anglers' dialogue process with First Nations
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 07:05:20 PM »

Nice to see anglers are overwhelmingly excited about a process that may possibly improve the current management. ::) I guess it's all FN's fault for destroying the fish stock and we should not try to create a better dialogue so all parties are working towards the same goal.

So much to say when someone else shows a flaw, yet so little room for improvement among ourselves.

blueback

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 08:01:41 PM »

Actually Rod, I think it's an excellent idea and probably the only one that will work in the long term. I've been checking out the process (salmon user groups dialogue) south of the border and it seems to be having an overall positive effect so far, but not without their own issues to deal with. At least they've all agreed that Bush (federal administration) isn't onside; more than we can say here about our situation here.   

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 08:57:54 PM »

Nice to see anglers are overwhelmingly excited about a process that may possibly improve the current management. ::) I guess it's all FN's fault for destroying the fish stock and we should not try to create a better dialogue so all parties are working towards the same goal.

So much to say when someone else shows a flaw, yet so little room for improvement among ourselves.

Perhaps the readers have seen this film before and they aren't too impressed. Our hopes have been dashed once too often. Personally, I'll believe it when I see some concrete evidence. In the meantime count me as a skeptic.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 10:56:00 PM »

The idea is an excellent one, the only problem is it should have been held early in the new year as it was orignally planned for. Now we are nearing the main part of the fishing season and it still has not happened  I feel there was stalling tactics by FN on this one.
The bright side I suppose is it looks like a meeting may happen hopefully by the end of the month.

If not, that will not be exceptable in my books.

Good work by Rodney and others on the SFAC that have put a lot of work and time into preparing the letter. Lets see what the response is from them now as it is a two way street.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2005, 08:51:11 AM by chris gadsden »

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 07:47:46 AM »

yep well maybe we can all get along and share the river after all  this work by the panel. 8) 8) :o

Jimmy

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2005, 12:40:29 PM »

I commend all involved with this. I hope that it is received well from all parties. I look forward to seeing what comes of these meetings.

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2005, 08:58:27 AM »

I am skeptical, especially when I think there was some deliberate stalling going on. But dont get me wrong...my dream would be for all users of the river to work together to conserve and utilize the resource in a sustainable manner.

Always easy to see fault and talk about it, tough, for some reason, to acknowledge good attempts or progress. Might be part of the reason progress is so tough to gain.  ??? :(
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2005, 09:54:44 PM »

Just to inform all, the date for the first dialogue session has been set. Members of the Upper Fraser Sportfishing advisory Committee will be meeting various representatives of First Nations in the Fraser Valley on this Friday (July 8th). Items to be discussed are the concerns that were addressed in the previous letter published two weeks ago. If all goes well, a second planned meeting will take place on July 11th.