Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Soon to be the fraser! grab yer paintball guns:)  (Read 3760 times)

Randog

• Ultimate Sportfishing Adventures
Re: Soon to be the fraser! grab yer paintball guns:)
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 10:15:52 PM »

Wow, amazing footage of that sturgeon.

nineweight

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 02:28:02 PM »

Seriously I can hardly watch that,
I dont care how many sea lions there are...they are the least of our problems.  And are only now a threat to our resource now because of the dangerously low numbers of salmon due to not the sea lions, but ourselves.  I dont know weather to throw up or laugh when I hear people put the blame of our fish resource on sea lions LOL.

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 03:12:00 PM »

Great footage.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005, 03:48:23 PM »

Seriously I can hardly watch that,
I dont care how many sea lions there are...they are the least of our problems.  And are only now a threat to our resource now because of the dangerously low numbers of salmon due to not the sea lions, but ourselves.  I dont know weather to throw up or laugh when I hear people put the blame of our fish resource on sea lions LOL.

I have to agree with you.  It's amazing that people will blame nature for interfering with our destruction of nature.  It's a bit of a farce :(

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 05:19:14 PM »

I do agree low return of salmon is not the fault of sealion, but mostly human activities. However, conentrated population of sealion do bring potential problems. ie. waste polution.  It would be nice to see relocation (repopulation) of sealion to where they once thrive but now non-existent.(something similar to the re-introduction of grey wolf in Yellowstone Park -this wolves were relocated from southern Alberta).

meca_357

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2005, 05:50:49 PM »

I agree. Its a very contraversial topic though cus canada is suffering with the masacare of sealion killing up north. If you do not know what im talking about go to www.stopthesealhunt.com and watch some of the videos. It is very disturbing. On the other hand humans do have deminished the salmon runs in a huge amount so in my personal opinion the government should allow the hunting of seals in a more humane manner and also increase the money spent on hatchery programs and others to increase salmon runs. Last couple of years the runs have been some what consistent so thats a good thing. Sea lions do affect the runs but i think we should worry more on how much we damage and deplete these runs rather than blaming just our fellow seals/sealions... I do find very intresting / disturbing the sturgeon part though.. anyways thats my opinion .. cheers

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2005, 06:15:20 PM »

I've heard of reports done of the relocation of sea lions in Washington State at the locks near Seattle.  Salmon migrate through the locks to get into Lake Washington tributaries and there are sea lions doing the same thing there as in the video.  Wildlife officials tranqulize some of them and ship them elsewhere to release them.  Quite often though, the same problem animal return to the exact spot.   As the video stated, the animals aren't exactly stupid and just like us, they look for the easiest way to get their seafood.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2005, 12:10:40 AM »

If a conservation officer saw this what would happen..... I personally think it sucks that seals thrive on us catching fish and then eating them but there has got to be a better way than doing this...... It was funny that the guy said he would pepper the water around the seals and sea lions.... come on we know where you are shooting....

Tough call i'd say
see ya on the river