Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bar Fishing the Fraser  (Read 4066 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Bar Fishing the Fraser
« on: June 06, 2005, 11:36:44 PM »

We started at the Agazzi bridge - Too fast and deep.  Went to Badger Rd - too many snags (I think the rocks on the bottom were too big for bar fishing) - left several pounds of lead  :(   Next stop Hope - down from Coqahalla - conditions were better than the other places and we did see a few fish.  This trip was my first attempt at bar fishing.  So I am learning as I go.  The goal for tomorrow - to have atleast one bite and not to leave any lead. 

I believe when bar fishing at Hope the old timers used railway spikes for weight with a 12 to 15 pound line off your bar rig. When your weight hangs up you just break it off.

Then in periods of low water in the winter the spikes are picked up again and re used. I have used this method years ago and it works. It iss cheap if you can find some RW spikes.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
Re: Dad and me on the Fraiser
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 01:04:55 AM »

MAKE SURE the ones you take is not nailed down.  ;D ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 05:33:57 AM »

MAKE SURE the ones you take is not nailed down.  ;D ;D ;D
Yes, forgot to mention that as they are difficult to pull out of the ties. ;D ;D ;D

You can find them discarded along most railways, but be very careful if walking near a railway.

I believe you can buy them in some hardware shops, we did when we used them for bench marks and hubs in pavement when I was surveying many moons ago.

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 02:23:51 PM »

I sell railway pry bars specifically made for CPR.  Maybe I can sell some more  ;D

Steelies-nitemare

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 06:36:18 PM »

The spot that you seen the fish caught today is where you want to be in the morning.  ;)  The Locals crowd these spots as they know where all the good  holes are.  Sometimes being up or down stream  A few feet will make all the differance, until the fish start showing up in greater numbers.   ;)  If bar fishing isn't your thing try float fishing some roe or even a large blade! ;)

Bass Master

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 04:13:15 PM »

Hey preacher, hope you guys got into a fish. how was it? thanx ;)

preacher

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2005, 06:04:35 PM »

Thanks for all the good advice.  My dad and I were able to spend Tuesday morning fishing where the locals were fishing.  They were some really nice guys.  I even met a man that builds centerpins.  Maybe someday we will be able to do some bidness.  I think I want mine with a more custom look - like flames on the outer cover instead of little holes (if you can't fish you might as well look cool)  Anyway, Dad and I were skunked again.  I will be taking a church group camping in a few weeks.  We will only be a short distance outside of Hope.  I really want to put one of those springs on the barbee for the group.

fisher88

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2005, 05:25:29 PM »

How do u barfish!!! I AM NEW at this and I have no clue how to do this. I only have 15 lb test, and a shimano convergence rod. Is that too flexible for bar fishing!??
If you aint dutch you aint much!

preacher

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2005, 07:41:21 PM »

Sorry buddy, I am the wrong guy to ask.   ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2005, 08:35:18 PM »

How do u barfish!!! I AM NEW at this and I have no clue how to do this. I only have 15 lb test, and a shimano convergence rod. Is that too flexible for bar fishing!??

Not if you are fishing the Lower Fraser.

miketheflyguy

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2005, 08:39:19 PM »

I beleive the convergence is not the right rod....maybe I'm wrong....Look on the rod and see what the max weight is....up river 12oz will be min in most spots and others are 16oz min.......15 pound test sounds good for the old timer way....but when I bar fish I use a Penn 310, equipped with 60 pound line , 11' Fraser King rod, and 50 pound leader line.....10 pounders come in good on 50lb test but man some of those 30+ put up a good fight.......

am I wrong?
mike
<))))><

fisher88

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2005, 09:45:20 PM »

i like to have a fun time yanking in those big ones. It doesn't seem like too much of a fight with 50 lb line. considering u could just drag em on shore with that ;)   but how do u set it all up. I understand the mechanics of it but do not know the equipment. How much is a bar fishing rod?
If you aint dutch you aint much!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2005, 09:54:07 PM »

Really depends on where you plan to fish. If you're primarily interested in the lower Fraser you can generally get away with a lighter rod. If you plan to concentrate on the bars around Chilliwack you would need a sturdier rod and reel as you will be casting heavier weights

miketheflyguy

Re: Bar Fishing the Fraser
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2005, 06:24:39 PM »

My fraser King was $100 the Spots that I fish are fairly fast and when those fish turn into the current they go......normally I hope to get a head start on the fish before it does that....thats why its nice to use 50 pound test....

mike
<)))><