Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: hey Newsman!  (Read 3797 times)

Bass Master

hey Newsman!
« on: June 03, 2005, 03:45:28 PM »

Was just looking though the fishing reports section and came across this in your report.......
"The Fraser River is very high (be careful) and fishing fair to good for springs, dolly varden, and cutthroat. For better success concentrate you’re fishing in the cleaner water where feeder streams enter the system. For springs try (#4 to #1) Popcycle, Big Black, Stonefly Nymph, Squamish Poacher, or fire red Eggo."

Are you actually catching springs on the fly in the fraser right now? ;)

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
Re: hey Newsman!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 05:44:08 PM »

I write my column on the weekends by the time it comes out in the papers it is usually 4 to 5 days old. Today the fraser is too high, when it comes down again, Yah you can catch springs on your fly rod. 9 to 10 w rod and line with four or five strands of leadhead, dreadging the color change at a tributary stream. Much patients and persitance is required so this is not a game for the novice. Bottom bouncing with a levelwind usually produces more fish at this time of the year, but then I am a fly fishing instructor and a devout fly angler so on the days that the fish win I don't complain.

On the other hand I see by your handle you are a bass angler. You would probably find a day of bass angling much more rewarding. I have always had my best success with Clouser's Deep Minnow, Wooley Bugger, and Crayfish. Hope this answers you questions.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2005, 06:01:50 PM »

Well I guess that answered it. Come on guys and gals I am always ready to answer questions. A good fly fisher is a good analyst, take nothing at face value! Question, question, question.

My theory for successful fly fishing is   Study, Practice, & Perfect

Study = researching everything you can find on technique and species. from you research develope your theorys

Practice = take your theory and practice it, to prove or disprove it.

Perfect = take your proven theorys and perfect them by building on them.

Just because someone has taken their (note the word THEIR) theorys and put them in a book or on video does not make them fact, those thing are only someone's perseption of what works for them. Question! Question! Question!

Bass Master

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 03:54:37 PM »

hey thanx for the reply!!!!
I would imagine it takes lots and lots of patience to get these early springs in the fraser on the fly. thanks for the extra input. god i love this fishing forum. :)

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 05:27:06 PM »

It's a test alright, but I get lots of fish year round. So a day or two drawing blanks don't bother too much. When I get frustrated I take a trip over to the trout park where I teach a number of my classes. A couple of hours of fish on almost every cast and mu confidence is renewed.

My presonal goal is to land a 50lb+ spring on the fly. When I do it will be photoed, measured, weighed and released, then I am going to have the speicies, weight, and fly tatooed on my right bicep for all to see. I have been working on this one for a few years now. I have hooked a number of Fraser & Thompson Springs (on the fly) that may have fit the bill but I have yet to land one. One day!

Ps if spring on the fly is your goal, I advise warming up for a season or two with big (25lb & up) Chum.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2005, 12:32:03 PM »

No Bites Yet!

Okay lets probe a little more. Facts, turned myths, proven fallacy in my half century of angling experince.

Sockeye can not be caught by sport fishing.

Pacific Salmon can not be caught on the fly.

Chum Salmon do not fight.

Chum Salmon are a substandard table fish.

Pink Salmon do not make a good sport fish.

Pink Salmon are not a good table fish.

You can't catch trout with a fly when they are targeting Chironomides.

Sockeye will not hit a fly.

You can't catch ground fish on a fly.

Carp are not a sport fish.

Bass will not hit a fly.

You can't catch Pan Fish on flies.

Pike will not hit flies.

Walleye will not take flies.

Dolley Varden are a menace to the ecosystem and should be destroyed.

Trout over three pounds use up too much of the food source and should be destroyed.

A lake can not be over stocked.

A 12 fish catch limit poses no threat to fish stocks.

Rainbow Trout of the Thompson Okanagan do not prey on minnows.

Salmon can not exist in fresh water.

Atlantic Salmon can not reproduce and survive off our coast.

What myths have you seen fall?

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2005, 01:15:56 PM »

Can atlantic salmon live in lakes like kokanee and breed sucessfully. take away their route out of the lake of course. i've heard about this before with coho salmon where they were put into a lake to control the baitfish problem...it was a bc outdoors colum ten years back.

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2005, 05:43:54 PM »

Well, these are all very interesting myths... One thing that I have only heard a little about is how to get sturgoen on the fly.  I have heard of heavily scented flies for this, but no real methods are available to my knowledge.  Care to clear that one up for me? 

PS I can't believe some people would belive pike don't hit a fly.  Pike will eat anything that moves including ducklings and muskrats.

Oh, and I thought they tried to intruduce atlantic salmon many times during the 60s and 70 with no success.

No Bites Yet!

Okay lets probe a little more. Facts, turned myths, proven fallacy in my half century of angling experince.

Sockeye can not be caught by sport fishing.

Pacific Salmon can not be caught on the fly.

Chum Salmon do not fight.

Chum Salmon are a substandard table fish.

Pink Salmon do not make a good sport fish.

Pink Salmon are not a good table fish.

You can't catch trout with a fly when they are targeting Chironomides.

Sockeye will not hit a fly.

You can't catch ground fish on a fly.

Carp are not a sport fish.

Bass will not hit a fly.

You can't catch Pan Fish on flies.

Pike will not hit flies.

Walleye will not take flies.

Dolley Varden are a menace to the ecosystem and should be destroyed.

Trout over three pounds use up too much of the food source and should be destroyed.

A lake can not be over stocked.

A 12 fish catch limit poses no threat to fish stocks.

Rainbow Trout of the Thompson Okanagan do not prey on minnows.

Salmon can not exist in fresh water.

Atlantic Salmon can not reproduce and survive off our coast.

What myths have you seen fall?

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2005, 05:55:53 PM »

When you here about  the land locked salmon in the northeastern US, it's Atlantics they are talking about. Coho, Spring, and Pinks were all hybrid to live in fresh water, back in the 60's, by fisheries back east in an effort to control the Alewives they introduced to combat the Lampreys.  If Coho, Spring, and Pinks solved a problem there I assume they could do the same here.  

Thanks for the reply I was begining to get bored

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2005, 06:11:22 PM »

It was a long time ago when heard that one about Pike. Like I said these are things I have seen disproven over the passed 50 years. As for Sturgeon I have tried with no success, scent is definitely a factor. Other problems  here, depth and speed of the current. The the only fly caught Sturgeon I have seen record of are coming from the Caspian Sea.