Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question on sturgeon and nets  (Read 2377 times)

fishinfever

• fishing is REELality
Question on sturgeon and nets
« on: May 30, 2005, 08:56:56 PM »

I'm just wondering how often Sturgeon get caught in nets set for Salmon. Is there a way to avoid catching Sturgeon.
 This is just out of curiosity not to raise any debates or trouble. ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Question on sturgeon and nets
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 09:55:50 PM »

Sturgeon get caught in nets set by First Nations in the Upper Fraser (Hope to Mission, not too sure about stats from Commercial nets in the tidal) probably more often than most think. Mortality of sturgeon that are placed in the holding tank for revival (this is excluding those that already die in the nets) is around 25%. For once I am going to be bad and not provide a source of this info, due to several things on the agenda that we have going on the Fraser River fisheries right now. However I promise I'll be more specific once I have been given the green light to say more.

fishinfever

• fishing is REELality
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 06:30:20 AM »

Thanks for the replys.
 I'm sure that many people reap a lot af benefits from net fishing but it somehow seems to have deminishing returns.
Must be a frustrating job trying to help bring back fish stocks when such things as netting and the bycatch results in so many fish that are protected being caught. What can the net fishermen do with the bycatch legally?
 Won't be able to reply again till saturday.
Really do appreciate people who care for the resources of this planet, to bad that greed and ignorance destroy so much. I've learned of my own ignorance on this site and appreciate wake up call sometimes.
Thanks again!

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 03:13:24 PM »

Do what the fisheries asked fishermans do around a southeatern island of Taiwan.  No unguarded nets when fishing nets are set there is to be a set of 'net guardians' when ever they see disturbance is nets they are to check it out and release any bycatch.  This is a measure placed to lower dophin motality rate. Before many died in nets because of drowning.