Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pike minnnow dough  (Read 2907 times)

IamCanadian

Pike minnnow dough
« on: May 29, 2005, 06:21:15 PM »

waz up,

I was wondering why there are so few fish biting my dough when other's are constantly having fish on. Aren't u only suppose to add peanut butter to flour? That's what I do. But for some reason, mine doesn't seem to have enough peanut butter. IF u have any suggestions, please do tel me. It would be appreciated.

Ian

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Pike minnnow dough
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2005, 09:45:23 PM »

Most of those fish that you saw being caught are probably peamouth chub. Are you getting bites? :) If you are, but not hooking, your hook size maybe too big. If that's the case, use smaller ones like size 12 or 14, or even 16.

If you are not getting bites at all, the bait maybe falling off too easily. Or, you may not be at the right depth, the bait needs to be all the way on the bottom.

Don't just stick to peanut butter dough, not too sure whoever came up with that. ::) We had more success in the past by using curry dough instead.

Are you down there on weekends? I stopped by yesterday to take some photos. The water looked a bit clearer than I thought. Hopefully this new rise upstream is only a small peak. If that's the case, the water will be clearing up nicely in June down here for some good spin fishing for bull trout. :)

IamCanadian

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2005, 09:53:48 PM »

I'm there occasionally because I live up in Vancouver. And since, I'm having final exams soon, my parents don't really want me to be fishing for the next three weeks. So I don't know if i can make it to ur event :'(. I'm hoping so. Adding on to that, I'm going to texada island right after the weekend, so it is really uncertain. But if u're going down there, please pm. I'll see if I can come.

Ian ;D

P.S. Thanks Rodney

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2005, 10:02:05 PM »

Oh I didn't realize you're coming from Vancouver, that's quite far. London Landing is a pretty nice place to fish as the floating dock makes it easier, but there are places closer to Vancouver where you can try out too. If you are near South or East Vancouver, maybe you want to try the pier just east of Knight Street Bridge. I am not exactly certain of its location, but Lucky Should be able to give to the direction if you pm him. Pikeminnow and chub are found basically anywhere in the Fraser, tide plays a big part on how productive it is.

I am only about five minutes from London Landing, so if you are coming down, just post it in advance or pm and I'll see if the fishing part fits into my schedule. ;)

Tell your parents the event is educational. ;D Seriously though, exams come first, the fish can wait. ;)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2005, 10:10:41 PM »

Pass the exams first and then you have the whole summer chasing pinks.

Double Underhooks

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2005, 11:23:26 AM »

Ian, pass and do well on your exams first, your education should be priority  :)

In regards to your question, like Rod said, check to make sure your bait is still on or else you'll be waiting for nothing.

You'll need to experiment with your flour, peanut butter/curry powder, water ratio to find the best mix. Your dough should contain as much peanut butter/ curry powder as possible (this is what attracts the fish) but with enough dough to keep it together. The peanut butter is oil based won't hold alone, the flour is there to keep things intact.

The amount of water is important too. Too much water and the dough will be saturated and sticky and will fall off quickly. Too little water and the dough won't hold together. In short, you dough should be as moist as possible but not stick to your hand.

When I fish, I usually take out a small chunk of dough from a sealed container so the air can dry it out. If its too dry, I just add a few drops of water.

If your from Vancouver, you can always try fishing from the South Van side of the river. From the Richmond side, I saw some docks which appears to be at the South end of Kerr St area (where there are alot of apartments). My co-worker also told me that there is an area off Byrnes(spelling?) road between Boundary and the Queens Borough bridge.

Oh yeah, keep the hooks and bait SMALL as the peathmouth chubs have small mouths. The hook size should be about 1cm in length (don't know the acutual hook size).

Good luck on your exams and study hard!

IamCanadian

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2005, 06:31:56 PM »

that's a little far. :( Cause I live on the West side. The Kerrisdale area. So I think I'll usually fish in Richmond, since my parents always come down there. But thanks for telling. :D

Ian ;D