Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: chinook returns  (Read 7009 times)

lucky

• Old Timer
chinook returns
« on: May 22, 2005, 08:13:34 AM »

Well I was just looking at the albion test fisheries reports and wondering where are all the salmon? so far for the month of May there has been only 12 chinook netted, last year by this time there were 56, last year for the whole month of may there where 81 fish caught. I have looked at the months of may catches from 2001 to 2005 and never where the numbers this low. :-\

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: chinook returns
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 09:27:03 AM »

Well I was just looking at the albion test fisheries reports and wondering where are all the salmon? so far for the month of May there has been only 12 chinook netted, last year by this time there were 56, last year for the whole month of may there where 81 fish caught. I have looked at the months of may catches from 2001 to 2005 and never where the numbers this low. :-\
Part of the reason may be we have had high river flows in May as the freshet is early this year so that makes netting more difficult. This is what I have been told. I hope this is the reason.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 12:08:37 PM »

that's the word i'm hearing too. full freshet is a week or so early this year..... and man if i was a fish i sure as heck wouldn't wanna be in the muddy fraser right now.  ;D

mr.pink

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 01:40:27 PM »

strange i hope its nothing like what down south,a few weeks ago at 1 of the u.s dams (not sure which 1) they were missing up to
150,000 springs at the fish ladders where they count them,havn t heard or seen anything since about it.hopefuly there just late.
 also i was wondering the i.g.a in my neigbourhood had sale on steelhead fillets this week,do they catch steel commercialy?net them?
seems like such a waste considering what they bring $ in sport fishing.must admit i was kind of shocked,lol.

http://www.nwp.usace.army.mil/op/b/fishcam.asp  not sure if was the dam i was reading about.but its kind of cool,better if was streaming.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005, 02:01:56 PM »

also i was wondering the i.g.a in my neigbourhood had sale on steelhead fillets this week,do they catch steel commercialy?net them?
seems like such a waste considering what they bring $ in sport fishing.must admit i was kind of shocked,lol.

I could be wrong but I believe they maybe farmed raised raindbow trout that they advertize as steelhead as a better marketing name. ::) Someone else may verify this fact.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2005, 07:32:35 PM »

They probably net pen raise them in the ocean, so that they can be called steelhead.  Otherwise they'd be rainbows (my guess)

mr.pink

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2005, 04:26:46 PM »

i didnt see any "wild" stickers on them,so they must be farmed.i had a slight panic attack when i saw them.the fillets were big and
alot darker red (dye?) then the only steelie i ve seen.thx guys for the replies,cheers.

redside1

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2005, 10:56:30 AM »

they could be purchased from washington state indians. They commercially net and sell steelhead in washington state. The indians run some very successful hatchery programs on the olympic pennisula. They routinely get hatchery steelhead over 25lbs  and some 30lbs+ on the quinault and queets river systems. If you every want to see some different ideas on steelhead and salmon fishing , go to www.lettypotter.com .This is the website for a woman indian guide and you will see a lot of dead sport caught fish plus in season she will post picture of the day and I have seen lots of whopper hatchery steelhead posted there. on one of their hatchery creeks, you can kill 4 steelhead a day and when you look at the pictures you will see it is done lots.  Very different down there.

reach

• Yard work can wait.
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2005, 11:44:33 PM »

This thread is getting way off topic, but here's some food for thought  ;D ... the cans also clearly say "Product of Canada".

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2005, 12:16:30 AM »

Am I wrong but I thought steelhead were a trout that goes to the sea.

False advertizing.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2005, 01:12:21 AM »

It's all about marketing. I was in Save On Foods this afternoon and came across some salmon burgers. If you read the ingredients closely you will find that it is keta salmon. For those who don't know, keta is also called by their common name: Chums.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2005, 05:38:01 AM »

It's all about marketing. I was in Save On Foods this afternoon and came across some salmon burgers. If you read the ingredients closely you will find that it is keta salmon. For those who don't know, keta is also called by their common name: Chums.
Or better still, dogs which would look good on the cans.

mr.pink

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2005, 10:47:29 AM »

steelhead salmon?wth is that.could be anything.

reach

• Yard work can wait.
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2005, 11:07:26 AM »

I thought steelhead were a trout that goes to the sea.

Well they used to be a trout (salmo gairdneri) but they were recently moved to the salmon genus (oncorhynchus mykiss).  So "Steelhead salmon" could be considered accurate.

If it's truly "product of Canada" I suppose it could be farmed rainbows... but then why they would put those in a can instead of selling fresh?  Or maybe it was just processed in Canada... are you still allowed to say "product of Canada" if the raw material was from somewhere else?

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2005, 11:29:36 AM »

I can't see where it says product of Canada from your pictures.  All I can see is that is says it was prepared for a company located in Richmond.  This most likely means it was imported from abroad and then packaged and or labled in Richmond for resale.