Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boat?  (Read 3338 times)

Hiker

• I'm a good llama!
Boat?
« on: May 22, 2005, 02:09:03 AM »

I am debating, with myself mostly, these days, so I thought I should post a question here rather to the people who know more about boats than I do.

I would like to get a boat which I could use for lake fishing, fun, ... I have a storage problem so I think anything but inflatable would be a problem. Would like to buy something that myself, my wife and maybe occasionally a friend could fit into comfortably with all our gear without getting muscle cramps, but still being able to put a boat into trunk of the car or on the roof rack (which I should buy than as well). What boat would you recommend? I was looking at Fish Hunters, but are they good boats? How much of hustle it is every time to inflate and deflate it? Would that be a good investment? Would you recommend an electric engine with it or oars are just fine (I do not mind paddling). Are these type of boats getting leaks, or getting punctured easily?

I am thinking of buying something that would last me through years to come. So would this be a good idea, or should I just wait to get a house one day and buy a small aluminum boat?

Would appreciate advice from anybody who knows more than I do about this topic and to know more than I do about this is not difficult :)

Randog

• Ultimate Sportfishing Adventures
Re: Boat?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 07:43:52 AM »

A buddy of mine uses an "Achilles(sp)" inflatable combined with a 6 HP Honda. His boat has a removable plywood floor. He stores it in a large canvas bag that came with the boat. Less motor of course.

Good Luck

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 10:58:26 AM »

First except the fact that there is no one size fits all boat and work backwards from there. You might want to consider accumulating a few boats for different applications, but that brings the problems too, of more money, more maintenace, and storage.

Personaly I use my two man canoe for most of my applications (light enough to move easily and easily maneuverale in the water). My 14 foot aluminum car top with a 9.9 outboard for bigger water. I also have a bellyboat for times when space is an issue. I would say the belly is the worst. (work to get into, and alot of work to move long distances in the water). Future boats to add to my collection will be a WaterMaster Raft for floating streams and small rivers, a 20 foot river boat with a prop and a jet out board on the back the jet for the shallows and the prop to save on fuel when I don't have to use the jet, and lastly a floatplane to get to out of the way places without abusing my vehicles.

Now here's another thought over the last three years I have been shying away from boats in favour of fishing where I can fish from shore or by wading; less work! Doing the watercraft thing means a longer day, when you consider loading at home, loading at the water, unloading when you come off the water, unloading when you get home, and cleanup; something to think about.

My advice: If I were to start from scratch today I would be looking into one of Canoe Man's Flyers, or one of his Canoes. Since Canoe Man and Son fish regularly they know what us anglers need in a watercraft and have made all their equipment with that in mind.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

canoe man

• Old Timer
  • and awaaaaaaaay we go!
    • brandywine marine
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 06:11:47 PM »

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/brandywine/about.html

well gee newsman thanks for the compliment  ;)
hiker check out the link and see what you think
id be pleased to answer any questions
these boats have fit two people quite well
3 would be pushing it a bit
but for lakes and slow rivers no prob
and as for customizing well that is what its all about
because as newsman said everyone and every scenario is different

canoe man
president of the HANEY HOOKERS SOCIETY

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 10:32:43 PM »

Aren't you bringing two boats to St Mary Canoeman? Hiker will be there too so maybe he can try it out.

Hiker

• I'm a good llama!
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 10:36:15 PM »

Thanks Rod. I wouldn't mind trying but at this moment I have a storage problem for anything but inflatable, so I will most likely get one for time being. Looking forward to some good fishing and nice time I hope all of us will have out there together.

pinkwool

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2005, 11:34:26 PM »

Check out  Zebec boats http://www.zebecboats.com/ They are based in Calgary and used to have a dealer in Port Moody. Armada 420A is the one I'm looking for in the distant future, which you can use in tidal water, any lake or Fraser below Hope. It can take up to  :o 50 HP  ::). As any inflatable you can carry it in a bag(s). Give them a call and see if you can get a deal. They did have 10% off on boat show with free shipping. Here is the link to how these boats were used by US DoD in Vietnam http://vietnam.usembassy.gov/wwwh040625.html

canoe man

• Old Timer
  • and awaaaaaaaay we go!
    • brandywine marine
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2005, 04:13:39 PM »

im seriously thinking of doing a more rental type scenario
or a co-op type operation, as i know storage is a big issue for some people
as the last few boats ive built have been for people who want to use them up in the interior lakes
so they could pick up there boat here in mapleridge as they cruise on through

i will be at the st marys lake fishin with my own boat, and canoe hopefully
plus rod will have his there to look at
plus i maybe able to round up another one ive sold  ;)

cnm
president of the HANEY HOOKERS SOCIETY