Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A trip to Bamfield  (Read 3683 times)

roeman

A trip to Bamfield
« on: May 19, 2005, 10:16:26 PM »

Just finished booking a trip to Bamfield in the middle of August.  New to ocean fishing and looking for a little advice.  Been out a couple of times around Sunset Marina in West Van, getting use to downriggers and bigger waves.  Do they mooch over in Bamfield or is it all trolling?
Staying at Poets Nook, apparently the road from Port Alberni to Bamfield can get pretty rough, can anyone that has done this trip respond to the road conditions. I will be pulling an 18' aluminum princecraft.
I understand spring fishing is pretty good but what about coho? Would love to hook some coho on the fly rod.. 
Also taking a couple of fourteen year old kids.. Are there any lakes close by that you can swim, wakeboard and tube in, did not get alot of information about what is around, things are booking up quickly and did not want to miss out...
Thanks for the info
Are you fishin or catchin

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: A trip to Bamfield
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 10:47:49 PM »

The road from Port Alberni to Ucluelet is all paved. Perhaps someone can fill you in on the road from Ucluelet to Bamfield.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 11:55:06 PM »

The road from Port Alberni to Ucluelet is all paved. Perhaps someone can fill you in on the road from Ucluelet to Bamfield.
The road from Ucluelet to Bamfield is very smooth as it is all water. ;D ;D

I believe FA meant to say from Port Alberni to Bamfield. The first part is paved as far as China Creek and then the rest of the way can be very rough and dusty as I found out when I drove it 2 years ago. It takes about 2 hours from PA as you need to take your time. Make sure you tie your boat down well and it is best to have a cover over your boat to keep the dust out. Cover your motor as well to keep the dust from being sucked into your motor when you start it up.

When I made the trip I did not tie my boat down well enough and broke two rollers on the trailer on the way in. I had no spares so had to go into Bamfield to get some.

Poets Nook is a lovely spot and I have had success there mostly by mooching plug cut herring. The trick is to get some good herring if you want to do some mooching.

Buzz bombs etc. will work as well.

Most people I believe troll there now as they may find the herring expensive. Make sure you take some seasick pills if the youngsters are not use to rollers as you will encounter them there. The wind usually blows up in the afternoon so get out on the water early in the day.

Enjoy the trip and I believe you will find the scenery is worth the trip in itself. I am sure you will find some fish and the regulars there will help you out with the spots to go and what tackle is taking the fish.

A good idea is to buy a chart or two of the area you plan to fish. Have a good trip.

Smiley

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005, 08:03:04 AM »

roeman just to add to chris's reply,bring a couple of spare trailer tires because that road is murder on tires.be self sufficient because cell phones do not work on most parts of the road.keep the wakeboard and tube at home unless you decide to stay at sproat lake in alberni.fishing will be great that time of year for both springs and cohoes.as chris said herring is pricey last year i had to buy some in bamfield 8.00 a pop,this year i heard it is going up more.also gas is a lot higher at least 10- 15 cents a litre more than in town. be prepared to be packed in like sardines at the nook it will be busy as it is prime time.gps and compass along with the charts as august is also the foggiest time of the year.practice safety and you will have a great time out there.hope this helps.

roeman

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005, 05:00:42 PM »

thanks for the info..........
Are you fishin or catchin

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 10:12:04 PM »

There are a couple of ways to catch a Coho on a fly rod-the easiest being to drag a fly right where the bubbles run out in your wake.
Anything white with a little pink sometimes blue will do the trick.

You'll be trolling for Springs-spoons work well-20 feet behind the wire and don't go too slow

FISHIN MAGICIAN

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2005, 10:59:10 PM »

For the fisher in you...

most people troll there.

Take lots of tackle as there is none worth buying over there unless you pay rip off prices--especially if you are short on gear.

Coyote spoons, hootchies in Purple Haze, Army Trucks, and Plugs are dynamite.

Wanna catch Coho? Glo Flo Coyotes...NUFF SAID.

Wanna catch Springs? Anchovies 6 feet behind a flasher.

Tight lines to you and you fishing buddies...and remember to Catch your limit, but limit your catch and BOAT SAFE.

Oh yeah...OBSERVE RECORD AND REPORT-- there are some "enforcement" issues over there.

Oh yeah..GET UP EARLY>>>>those springs shut down not long after sun up, and the WALL is all you need to fish all day everyday to catch your liimit.

:)

Tight lines;Straight SHOOTING!

;D

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2005, 11:17:30 AM »

Some good advice already posted.

The road from Port (home) to Bamfield is one of the worst the Island has to offer in terms of towing a boat. I've destroyed TWO trailers doing just that, had to leave the boat in the ditch  :-\ once and returned with a replacement trailer to find it thankfully intact. Take an extra spare tire and DO cover the engine canppy and water intakes with plastic/duct tape! Go SLOW, Headlights on at all times, and hope it's not too busy, or the dust plume makes it nearly impossible to see. Now, I just run the boat down from Port, and will likely never trailer that "road" again.

For fishing: Most troll. Bait, spoons and hootchies. A few motor-mootch, but the action is often faster on the drag. As soon as you catch a keeper, clean it to see just what the menu of the day is, and gear up to match the hatch. Repeating the Magician's advice, GET OUT THERE EARLY! The best bite is right as the day begins to lighten - always. Places for springs - The Wall, Swale Rock, Diplock, Pill Point and off of Beale. For coho, surf line off Beale and just inside (had MANY tremendous days there - up to 100 released over an afternoon - Watch for frantic surfacing bait-balls, then break out the fly-rods or light jigging sticks. Don't be too suprized when you nail a spring down ten or so feet in that mix  ;) ) Bone-jarring hook-ups that you actually get to witness about 1/2 the time! Sweet!

Poet Nook is a nice quiet and freindly place, well situated to launch quickly onto the fishing activity. There are a few nearby lakes, but most are not all that conducive to swimming. There are two right beside the road to Nitinat, one even has a sorta beach, likely your best bet for the kiddies. A few trout in both, so worthwhile to drag along a rod. Get a copy of the Backroads Book, it will come in right handy.

Your timing will be great, should be loads of fish to keep those arms tired!!

Enjoy!
Nog