Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: battling dinosaurs April 24th  (Read 2252 times)

allwaysfishin

battling dinosaurs April 24th
« on: April 25, 2005, 04:14:05 PM »

wooohooo
my first big sturgeon damn near took my rod off the dock last night. into my last bag of oolies, i cut one in half and out she went. 1/2 hour later my rod was waving like a wind blown wheat stalk. I set the hook and well..... felt like a brick wall.
I tweaked my line a little by flicking it above the real and up she came, 100 yards out, full breach, 7 feet of sturgeon in the air. the splash looked like someone dropped a small car in the river.
Estimated at about 200lbs.
what a beauty!!!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 06:58:57 PM by Rodney »

Eagleye

• Old Timer
Re: battling dinosaurs
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 04:41:58 PM »

Wow that's a big sturgeon  :o sounds like fun.  Bout how long did it take you to bring em in?  The only one I ever hooked into was about 3 feet but man what a fight! I got em in close and he tore the hook right out of his mouth sending a piece of his flesh into the air! Ever since I've been eager for more sturgeon action.  What type of rod/reel are you using?  I'm thinking of buying a new set up for Bar Fishing the Lower Fraser for salmon and sturgeon.  With the proposed change in the status of White Sturgeon I may just get a new rod for tossin' large weights and use my calcutta 400 or my old Penn Long Beach 60 reel until they make up their minds.  The rod I have my eyes on is a Trophy XL 12ft. 40lb test rod and the reel which I may put on hold is the Shimano TLD 20. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 05:04:01 PM by Eagleye »

Randog

• Ultimate Sportfishing Adventures
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 05:12:52 PM »

Eagle Eye, great choice in reels. I run TLD 20s and Penn 330GTIs on my boat. If your fishing from shore you may concider the 12' ugly stick . Nice sensitive tip but lotsa' back bone on that bad boy.

I had a group out last Saturday and we boated 10 sturg. even managed a double header. I'll post some pics. latter.

Allwaysfishing, congrats on the big Dino, hows the arms feelin'?

blueback

Re: battling dinosaurs April 24th
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 09:57:27 PM »

Sounds like a beauty Allwaysfishin', get her to the beach?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 10:58:28 PM »

I had a group out last Saturday and we boated 10 sturg. even managed a double header. I'll post some pics. latter.

Happy first timers. :)

Some of the other recent trip photos are at http://www.ultimatesportfishing.ca/photos.html

allwaysfishin

Re: battling dinosaurs April 24th
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2005, 11:39:22 AM »

been away a few days....
In answer to questions, Yup, we got her to the beach, couple of low light, no flash pictures. when i get to the end of the roll I'll try and post a pic. The rod i'm using isn't ideal but the reel is a penn 320 gti loaded with 100 lbs tuf line plus and 50 dacron leader. we were using 5/0 gami's but use bigger (up to 9/0) for the big boys above mission.
as far as the location of this catch...... sworn to secrecy ..... sorry  ;D , but it is in the surrey/patullo area.
incoming tides near the high slack has been the best bite.