Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: St Mary's Lake trip, June 24th - 26th  (Read 16458 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: St Mary's Lake trip, June 24th - 26th
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2005, 10:11:14 PM »

A couple of you who are coming have asked about what to use for the bass, so I thought I'll just post some of the techniques that have worked well for me in the past couple of years. Sam Salmon would probably be able to add a few pointers as well later on. :)

This is a fly Chrome Mykiss tied recently.

Surface popper. :) Stripping it across the surface near the reeds should entice a few to rise. :) CM can probably tell more than me about it.

Last year I was very successful by fishing with a wet fly (leech) several feet under a strike indicator. For non-flyfishers, you can also use similar technique on the spinning gear. Simply tie the fly several feet under the float. Clamp on a few split shots just below the float to balance it. The fly should slowly sink down once it is cast out, and watch that float being buried after a minute. :)

Small Rapalas also worked great last year. In the evening time you would get rises on almost every cast.

Plastic tube bait was not as successful for us as we found the presentation was simply too big for them.

For the kids, there are plenty of yellow perch as well as bass to catch from the pier. A dew worm under the float does the job. :) I'll be bringing lots of dew worm as well as some small Drennan floats for them to use. If extra spinning rods and reels are needed, I can supply those as well.

Now, someone tell me how to catch those big cutthroat trout in that lake. ;)

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2005, 09:05:40 AM »

There are big trout in that lake?

I notice a barb on the hook in the photo.  Barbed hooks will be ok?  Also, I have a bunch of old bass plugs I inherited from my father.  They all have treble hooks.  Will these be legal to use?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2005, 09:52:30 AM »

Both single barbed hooks and treble hooks are allowed at St Mary's Lake (The single barbless hooks only apply to streams unless specified).

yes, there are big trout in that lake. ;D

keithr

• Our place in Mexico
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2005, 02:14:14 PM »

Thanks. Rodney.  This trip just sounds better and better.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2005, 02:26:07 PM »

What day are you arriving? We'll arrive around Friday late morning.

keithr

• Our place in Mexico
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2005, 10:12:11 AM »

We have reservations for the 23rd (Thursday).  I don't know what time we'll be arriving.  I have to check ferry schedules, which I plan to do from Vancouver since we should be up there by that time.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2005, 05:18:08 PM »

OK-I meant to post on this thread earlier but got sidetracked.
Anyway the way that most people fish Smallmouth here in BC is all wrong.
They sit against the weeds-or reeds actually-and cast into them hoping to drag a fish out-bullsh*t.
It's a good way to catch an occasional Bass and a lot of Perch.
Did you know that the Bass can actually see you sitting there 8 feet away?
Think about it!
To catch Bass regularly and consistently Back Off!!
Make long casts to the edge of the reeds, also explore and structure with your depth sounder/eyes and then back off and fish it.

Also I hope no one is wasting their time aboard that tired old donkey express through the Gulf Islands. ::)
The fast way is to ask for a thrufare to Fulford Harbour @ Tswassen and take the Ferry to Swartz Bay- it saves a lot money and hours of your time while travelling the same route-ditto coming back.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2005, 08:55:33 PM »

The master has spoken again. ;) Have you tried jigging in the deep for bigger fish? Or is that just a waste of time?

Fishin Chick has already lectured me about the thru fare, so we'll be doing that again this year, except with a reservation. ;)

keithr

• Our place in Mexico
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2005, 09:51:25 PM »

"The fast way is to ask for a thrufare to Fulford Harbour @ Tswassen and take the Ferry to Swartz Bay- it saves a lot money and hours of your time while travelling the same route-ditto coming back."

I'm hoping that as things get closer someone will be able to explain this situation in a little more detail for a flatland tourister like me.

Hiker

• I'm a good llama!
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2005, 10:33:41 PM »

Sam Salmon, what would you recommend to use for a bait? I am no fly fisherman, maybe I will try during the trip, but want to have some fun too and not just tangled line while trying fly fishing.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2005, 10:55:10 PM »

Bait?
Worms under a float are fine cast right at the edge of the reeds and keep a tight line between your rod and the float.
Experiment with depths don't fish too shallow.
Let him take it don't set the hook too soon.
Bring your own worms though-lotsa worms as there are lotsa Perch who love worms.  8)

EDIT-If you're fishing from shore try a small sliding sinker on your main line-then a swivel then 12" of leader (same # test) and a snelled hook with worms fished right on bottom.This how local kids fish and they slay 'em bigtime.
Just cut a stick and prop your rod up and and relax!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 11:09:55 PM by Sam Salmon »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2005, 11:15:45 PM »

The problem with worms that we found was the perch would be all over them before the bass. If the bass get them, they are usually fairly small too. We'll have worms anyways, I'm sure canoeboy, canoegirl etc would not be complaining if they can catch perch one after another.

I think a leech fly under the float would work quite well. :) I also bought some more Rapalas since last year, going to try those out too. :)

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2005, 10:26:38 AM »

One place to fish where there won't be nearly as many Perch is off the rocks that are right beside the road-it's quite a dropoff but Bass cruise along there and some Trout too.

Be sure to visit http://www.saltspringlavender.com/  -a unique and well run place with some fabulous products.You'll be driving right be it on the way to the Lake.

habzrule

• ====00=====
    • Make great money online in your spare time
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2005, 11:56:49 PM »

Hi Guys,

FYI I had great luck last year at St Mary's casting a Mepps #3 Vibrax spinner (Chartreuse blade /black body) to the edge of the weeds.  Also tried drift fishing with worms and some split, had some luck but had the perch problem also like you guys mentioned. 
http://members.shaw.ca/consumerforce/index.html : Best way to make some extra cash for fishing

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2005, 01:35:23 AM »

Well can't make it on the 24th grandfather coming. but will be there on 22 and 23  ;D Head start before you pros catch them all. ;)

Have fun  :) :)