Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: St Mary's Lake trip, June 24th - 26th  (Read 16456 times)

HappyHooker

• I'm a llama!
Re: St Mary's Lake trip, June 24th - 26th
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2005, 10:21:12 AM »

Rod

I would like to join the trip. I may set up tent or sleep in my van if it rains if that is OK.
Let me know if I am in so I can make the travel arrangements.

Thanks for organising such a trip.

Regards
Chris

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2005, 11:06:33 AM »

Best thing to do is to phone Mark at Lakeside Garden (250-537-5773) and book yourself a campsite if they are still available. :) I know he gets booked up a few weeks in advance usually.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2005, 10:18:01 AM »

Latest from the lake-part report/part warning/part comedy.

So I know a guy who owns a place on Saltspring-been in the family for years and years.Him and another friend of mine were over last Thursday fishing for Bass/Salmon and doing some Crabbing.

Fishing for Bass was steady even with the heat and they headed south from the launch fishing the shoreline along the way.
As they came past the cedars and fished the coves south of there one of their lures became entangled in some lakeside brush and they approached the shoreline to retrieve the spinner.

A woman came out of one of the houses and started berating them-the dialogue went something like this.

"You can't fish here"!
"We're not on your property Madam"!
"We're vegetarians and we don't allow fishing here"!
"The lake isn't private property we aren't doing anything wrong"
"If you don't leave we'll throw stones at you"!

Now here I should point out that these 2  are really sociable guys.They both own their own small businesses, have families and are involved with the public daily.Two friendly easygoing generous individuals in a boat enjoying themselves is what they are-but threatening them with physical violence is a real bad idea. ???

"You throw a stone at me and see what happens.You really will have problems on your property then Lady!And if you're a vegetarian why are you so d*mned fat anyway-eh"

At this point the fat veggie lady's husband disappeared into the bushes and she tried to further intimidate the fishermen only to be driven back into her house under a rain of insults-some quite personal. :D

So Boys when you head over do beware of fat veggie ladies throwing stones-St. Mary Lake ain't quite the bucolic paradise it sometimes appears. ::)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2005, 01:13:34 PM »

So Boys when you head over do beware of fat veggie ladies throwing stones-

;D ;D ;D ;D

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2005, 05:51:13 PM »

Hi, Can anyone tell me what kind of crankbait or spinner is good for st mary's lake? Don't know how to flyfish :-[

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2005, 11:51:52 PM »

I've got an inquiry in to my Brother-in-law in Michigan about the topwater poppers that we used when we fished down there.  Deadly and fun!  They had enough mass to cast well, but were a surface lure.

Interesting article on Bass:  http://www.fishontario.com/articles/bass-top-water/

Topwater is definitely where the excitement is, but I think that you'll probably mostly find that in the early morning or evening, if it's warm.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2005, 02:31:15 AM »

That's a very helpful topic thank you. Hmm do you think Berry's would have one of those poppers?

PS is popper easy to use? I'm used to bottome fishing and float fishing. This would be first time trying
something else.  :P
(thought of trying flyfishing but thought maybe spinners/jigs would be easier to learn since its casting
is similar to float fishing  ;D ;D)

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2005, 07:33:02 AM »

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/index/index-display.jhtml;jsessionid=GLOA1V2K0G0CJTQSNOKCCN4OCJVZOIWE?id=cat20344&navAction=jump&navCount=1&parentId=cat20166&parentType=category&cmCat=&_requestid=2353

These are some of the lures we used when I was down there.

Poppers are dead easy.  Toss em out, let them sit a couple of secs, and then retrieve with a jerking motion so that they chug, and gurgle on the surface.

Toss them towards structure like docks, around around someones moored boat etc.

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2005, 08:31:54 AM »

just don't toss them in the direction of any "fat veggie ladies?"

Hung

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2005, 06:07:34 PM »

OK ... would somebody please explain about this thrufare business?  What specific routes should I look for?  And should I make reservation if I leave Sunday AM and returning the following Sunday PM?  THANKS!

"The fast way is to ask for a thrufare to Fulford Harbour @ Tswassen and take the Ferry to Swartz Bay- it saves a lot money and hours of your time while travelling the same route-ditto coming back."

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2005, 06:39:36 PM »

From the BC Ferries Site  http://www.bcferries.com/schedules/southern/

"If you're headed to Salt Spring Island from the Lower Mainland, you can also travel by taking our Tsawwassen-Swartz Bay and Swartz Bay-Fulford Harbour routes. Ask for a Throughfare ticket when you arrive at Tsawwassen. This will let you travel on both routes at the Tsawwassen-Gulf Islands fare."

The real savings comes when you return on the Fulford-Swartz Bay-Tsawassen route.
The Fulford ferry is free to leave Saltspring but to qualify for the thoroughfare you need to buy a passenger ticket for $4.75 from the machine aboard the Ferry-one ticket per vehicle.Upon showing this ticket @ the ticket booth to Tsawassen you'll receive a greatly reduced fare I think I paid $15 instead of $40.
If you're unclear about the return from Fulford/buy a ticket aboard a free Ferry option ask one of the Ferry Staff they're accustomed to answering questions of that nature and are happy to help.
Also when aboard the Ferry from Tsawassen-Swartz Bay ask about the shortcut within the BC Ferry compound that allows you to join the Gulf Islands lineup without heading south on the Freeway and then turning around-it saves about 10 minutes and sometimes a Ferry wait.

Hung

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2005, 12:57:18 AM »

Boy ... it sounds confusing, but I think I've got it.  Thanks for the tip, SS.

habzrule

• ====00=====
    • Make great money online in your spare time
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2005, 05:04:53 AM »

The Mepps #3 spinners work great for the St Mary smallies...had good luck with both chartreuse blades and green blades.  But nothing is more exciting then having a decent smally ambush your topwater lure on a nice calm morning...personally I had The most luck with the "Hula Popper" , no skirt.
http://members.shaw.ca/consumerforce/index.html : Best way to make some extra cash for fishing

Bass Master

« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2005, 04:11:37 PM »

BASS!!!!! i absolutely love bass(check out my name) wish I read this earlier as I am curently scheduled to work on those days. have a safe and great trip. cheers.

keithr

• If you want to know about me, see my website.
    • Our place in Mexico
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2005, 05:25:13 PM »

OK, I copied this out of one of Sam Salmon's posts:  "The fast way is to ask for a thrufare to Fulford Harbour @ Tswassen and take the Ferry to Swartz Bay- it saves a lot money and hours of your time while travelling the same route-ditto coming back." 

We will be leaving for Vancouver in a few days, and I'll have some time to get oriented there and figure out what this means, but I'm  going to be away from a keyboard most of the time up there, so the next couple of days may be my last chance to take advantage of information you guys might have; so, if anyone knows these things, it would be nice to know:
Does the ferry (thrufare to Fulford) as described above work every day.  We plan to go the 23rd, a Thursday.
Where does one report, and at what time?

any other hints . . . thanks