Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Depth Sounder  (Read 6034 times)

All Tangled Up

• Go Fish!
Depth Sounder
« on: March 30, 2005, 10:15:07 PM »

Hey all, I was curious about depth sounder/fishfinders. I recently bought and returned 2 models from Canadian Tire. ( Eagle Fisheasy 2 $180, and the Garmin Fishfinder 160 $380) My problem lies in the fact that they say that they work at speeds up to 70mph, but once I get past 8-10mph or so the units stop working. I have tried different angles and locations on my transom for the transducers but nothing works. What do you all use for running the Fraser at speeds? Thanks for the info.

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
Re: Depth Sounder
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 11:36:00 PM »

i never trust the speed on the depth sounder, i will use them as a refences. Otherwise, i use my GPS, it give me speed, direction and time all at once....   

All Tangled Up

• Go Fish!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 07:17:44 AM »

Sorry speed is not what I am looking for, I want it to read the depth of the water so I don't bottom out in the Fraser when travelling at higher speeds.

fishersak

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 08:03:44 AM »

Dude, trust me...at high speeds by the time the sounder lets you know you are about to bottom out it is too late!!! I have a few messed up props to prove this.  A slow careful speed is the only way...I wouldn't trust a sounder to do this job!

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 08:11:49 AM »

I have a Humminbird Piranha 2. It loses its ability to read depths very quickly as soon as I pick up any speed at all.
"One man of courage makes a majority"

Jimmy

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 08:14:11 AM »

buy the best you can afford. But if you are not sure of an area on the fraser slow down and let the depth sounder work it's magic.

I paid about $129 and it works great it is an eagle 128 or something like that.

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2005, 08:59:58 AM »

My Garmin Fishfinder 80 works fine.  My boat gets up to 30MPH and no trouble reading bottom. Paid $130.

stryker 07

• Piss on work,gotta go fishing
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2005, 02:27:41 PM »

My pirahna 2 reads bottom until till 40 mph....might be the position on the stern or getting air pockets when on plane caused from runners or keels.
Please honey can i go fishing now???

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2005, 03:05:27 PM »

my eagle sea finder 240 is a wounder machine..jsut got it last season paid 280 for it i think.. ive never had it not work when goin full tit

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2005, 08:16:14 AM »

You might be getting too many bubbles, thus interfering with your reading.  Try adjusting the sensor on the stern.

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2005, 01:05:32 PM »

I made the same mistake. If you read carefully it says to put the transducer(i think its called) on a certain side. They say to do this because the propwash can affect the reading when it spins to the one side. I am not sure what side this is but i think you are supposed to put it on the right hand side.
Hope this helps

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2005, 04:33:36 PM »

I run a HummingBird 400TX. It clearly shows the floor at 45 MPH, although does mark "false" fish images at much after 15 MPH (bubbles I believe). It's somewhat pricey (over 4 bills I think) but has lasted a long time, and has proven itself extremely reliable.

Might just be your transducer location though. I knocked mine off on a deadhead, and had a few adjustments that had to made mounting the new one before it performed up to spec again.

Good Luck!
Nog

All Tangled Up

• Go Fish!
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2005, 06:49:32 AM »

Thanks for all the great input. I know I shouldn't be running unfamiliar water at full speed. I mainly want it for cutting corners in the ocean in White Rock when the tide is changing. It doesn't go from 20 feet to 2 feet as quickly as the Fraser does. I am going to buy a new sounder this week and hopefully have time to install the transducer in a better locale. I'll post back with the results, and thanks again for the help.

All Tangled Up

• Go Fish!
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2005, 10:01:36 PM »

Found a nice little sonar/gps unit at Walmart, installed the transducer in a different locale, went for a cruise in Cultus Lake, worked like a charm. Thanks again for any, and all help folks!