Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fresh eulochons  (Read 3326 times)

roeman

fresh eulochons
« on: March 10, 2005, 05:21:58 PM »

I know they are not in yet, but when they do come in does anyone know where you can buy fresh ( not frozen fresh but fresh) eulochons.  Have heard from a reliable source that there will be no opening except for commercial this year,  has anyone else heard this.  Getting ready for sturgeon fishing and I do not want to miss out getting fresh bait
thanks
Are you fishin or catchin

Randog

• Ultimate Sportfishing Adventures
Re: fresh eulochons
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 07:30:33 PM »

Not sure, but I'd love to find someone with eels. :)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 07:31:57 PM »

Richmond docks should have them. Why is DFO have an opening for the commercial guys and not the sportsfishermen ? >:(

Addicted To Steel

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 07:41:46 PM »

Roeman;
  If Bruce's Market in Maple Ridge has the rights again to sell the Commercial test boat's catch, then that would be a place you could buy Fraser R. Eulies. If there is a commercial opening on the river, you could try to find out who has the only few licenses on the Fraser and contact them to legally purchase some. If there is a sporty opening you could purchase your self a smelt net, and catch them yourself. Make sure you check the regs. There is a size restriction, and also rules about ways you use the net to catch the critters. Nikka sporting goods in Steveston sells the nets as well as some other net suppliers on the same street in Steveston.
 Sometimes tackle stores sell Columbia river Eulies. I myself, as well as my buddies have not had good luck with the Columbia river Eulies. They are almost twice the size as the Fraser ones and just don't seem to work too well at all. We compared them a few times, and wound up never using them again.

Randog;
 If it's ditch eels your looking for, and you don't mind doing a bit of work to get them, try the ditchy slough water which flows into the Alouette by the bottom of Laity st. where people park to walk their dogs on the dike.
 You need a shovel or a pitch fork, waders, and a bucket. If you take a shovel full of earth right at the water line, or just a bit below, then toss it on shore and quickly break it apart, the squigley serpents will come slithering out. They are almost impossible to handle, they completely freak out. Usually you will only capture one for every 6 or so you see. :o
 Quite a lot of the slough areas around the lower Alouette have ditch eels. The Sturgeon love them!!
 If it's Lamprays your looking for, Army and Navy used to sell them.
 Good luck

Addicted To Steel

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 08:35:41 PM »

I have heard the same, as well. It's supposed to be really good if you can get some cow's blood from a slaughter house and put it in the bail of hay to attract the eels.