Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Black box - trolling for trout  (Read 2190 times)

marshal

• Hook Chucker
Black box - trolling for trout
« on: March 01, 2005, 10:18:26 AM »

Has anyone tried using a 'black box' in an aluminum cartopper (with an outboard) for lake trolling for rainbows?

We use a couple of small downriggers and I'd like to know how effective (if at all) using one of these devices would be for this application.  :)

Gooey

• Old Timer
Re: Black box - trolling for trout
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005, 11:01:34 AM »

I fished with a guy in port alberni for springs, he always did well.  Indeed he felt that fish were sensative to electrical fields (thru the lateral line) and he had a specific voltage he like when fishing for big springs.

Unfortunately I fished with him only once so I cant tellya much more than that.  Like I said it seemed to work for him.

marshal

• Hook Chucker
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 06:02:54 PM »

Anyone else with experience / info?

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 06:58:00 PM »

I can't speak about it's usefulness in lakes, but I know a few guides who use them, but I also know just as many that don't use them. What's the verdict ?

If you trouble yourself with worrying about voltage for long enough, then get one, but I havn't seen a major increase for one set of guides vs. the other.

I don't have any evidence for this, but I heard somewhere and from someone that before dropping your gear, put in the prop-wash for a few seconds, this is supposed to neutralize the voltage emmitted by the gear. I base this on absolutely nothing...but it may do something.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote