Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ucluelet fishing trip  (Read 7532 times)

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
ucluelet fishing trip
« on: February 25, 2005, 01:43:13 PM »

hi guys. going fishing  on the canadian princess resort in ucluelet. trying for some halibut and maybe some snapper. goin may 31st. any comments or suggestions about these guys. thanks.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: ucluelet fishing trip
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 01:46:21 PM »

Don't get sea sick. ;) A friend of mine went two seasons ago, and said everyone barfed except him because they chowed down too much before the trip. He ended up landing a nice spring and lossing a halibut. Have fun. :)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 01:52:47 PM »

Whatever you do, don't take a cabin onboard the Canadian Princess unless you want to listen to banging pans all night long. Stay on one of cabins on shore. Take gravol or some other motion sickness medication. Chances are you are going to be needing it.

grandpa

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 09:27:57 AM »

I was told that powdweed ginder is very effective -( obtain at drug store ) without many of the side effects . Tried it when I felt a little queesy and it fixed me up right away . Unusual for me to have a problem ut I did that day .  Just a suggestion . Think the original suggestion came from another bc site . Have a great trip

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2005, 11:12:00 AM »

If you heading with Canadian Princess in Ucluelet for Hali and salmon, they most likely will take you to the big bank which is around 20 miles off shore.  At there you will often face 15-20 foot sea or maybe more, so Graval is a must. As Rodney said don't eat too much before you get on board as well as your boozes intake.  Fishing wise, is pretty good in late May early June, lots of fish around so don't worry too much.  goodluck fishing.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2005, 11:33:58 AM »

Before we put peacan sam to sleep with gravol, let's consider other options. ;) Before my friend went, Scott at Anglers West recommended this patch for sea sickness instead of gravol. After all, you want to stay awake while you reel in that big one right? ;D I don't know the name, so maybe someone else can jump in and tell us. Sam? ;)

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2005, 12:03:09 PM »

Scopolamine (Transderm-V) for vertigo
Examples
Brand Name Chemical Name
Transderm-V scopolamine

Scopolamine (Transderm-V) is a patch placed on the skin behind the ear. The medication is absorbed from the patch through the skin.

How It Works
The action of scopolamine is not completely understood. It is believed that scopolamine reduces the activity of the vestibular nerve, which connects the inner ear and the brain. This reduces the urge to vomit.

Why It Is Used
Scopolamine is prescribed to prevent vomiting caused by vertigo.

How Well It Works
Scopolamine can help prevent vomiting caused by vertigo in most people.

Side Effects
The most common side effect of scopolamine is a dry mouth.

Other side effects include drowsiness and blurred vision.

What To Think About
Some people who use scopolamine for 3 or more days in a row may experience dizziness, nausea, vomiting, or headache when they stop using the medication.

Ask your pharmacist-AFAIK you don't need a prescription.
Also Bonamine is worth having around-doesn't make you quite as sleepy as Gravol but works much the same.

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2005, 01:52:10 PM »

Thanks, great to know Sam.  I was wondering, have anyone tried those bracelet that gives a little bit of shock to prevent sea-sickness?
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2005, 02:11:22 PM »

I see a lot of guys wiht little patches on their necks too that seems to do something for them. Also I've seen other little bracelets that have a small ball thing on the band that does something to the circulatory system through the wrist. Not sure how it works, but if you don't want to ingest anything, it's worth a shot still.

As SK said, you're probably going to be heading offshore to the bank out there, fishing can be quite good, but the weather must be taken nto considereration, if you continued heading west, there's nothing between you and Japan.

Have a good trip.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2005, 02:52:35 PM »

A few years ago gravol was free for the asking at the front desk. Ask the front desk if they still offer the service when you check in.

rerigger

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2005, 04:27:42 AM »

unless it is blowing the swell shouldn't be a problem
up and down up and down
lots of fish at the big bank enjoy

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2005, 09:15:20 AM »

Thanks, great to know Sam.  I was wondering, have anyone tried those bracelet that gives a little bit of shock to prevent sea-sickness?
I know someone who used one of those-she worked aboard a Tuna fishing boat off the Oregon coast-sometimes ugly and lumpy place and she swore that it worked like a charm.
http://www.reliefband.com/main.html
http://www.charkbait.com/cs/csaseasick.htm

Note that the Relief Band is not the Accupressure Band that Spudcote is talking about-they work along different lines.I've used the Accupressure Bands and they help a bit.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2005, 08:16:05 PM »

Sorry for the late reply. thanks to all for the suggestions. I managed to change from onboard to land cabin so that was good. yes i've used gravol before out there, but the other stuff i will look into as well. the excursions are 6 hours long so were gonna be goin up and down on the waves for a while but its gonna be real good. the only problem is the cabins don't come with kitchens.....so i guess its just beer and pretzels. gonna post pics when i get back.....i mean email them to rod or dragonspeed. BTW i noticed on one of the maps of uclulet there is a crabbing wharf near town. has any one tried that wharf for crabs. thanks.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2005, 08:40:51 PM »

No need to eat Beer & Pretzels-that'll make you sick the nest day for sure :'(-there are a couple of decent restaurants in town-Matterson's if it's still there.

bigguy

• Old Timer
  • what?? You want me to GET OUT and go fishing?
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2005, 11:47:40 PM »

Have been three times and am going back this July!  It is early but should be fish!  If you go Hali fishing it is a two hour trip both ways, not a lot of fishing time so u have to fish hard!  Salmon they go to various spots usually not far out!   Gravol is a must!  Makes me a bit sleepy but better than puking!  Take some before bed, dont eat anything greasy, take one in the morning and one on the boat!  I am a large person so doesnt effect me too bad! But I sleep when I get back!

I love it there!  Hopefully the wateer will be fine, if the swells are too bad they wont go out too far!  Have fun and leave some for the rest of us!  Like I said 7 of us are going in July!  Get on the boat early and pick a spot by putting a bag etc over the rod hook!