Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coquitlam River  (Read 13938 times)

Addicted To Steel

Re: Coquitlam River
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2005, 01:11:09 PM »

Funfish;

The two dams, or rather reservoirs:  the Stave and Coquitlam are very similar in the way that they both divert water to different areas. The Coquitlam diverts to Buntzen, and the Stave diverts to the Alouette. The Stave's divertion is at the top reservoir, above Hayward Lake by way of a turbine tunnel connecting the Alouette and the Stave.

Actually, only a few years ago did Hydro come to an agreement with Fisheries biologists about increasing the flow to the lower Stave in order to accommodate late season spawners during low water months. The Redds are now in better shape during this time. Much like the Alouette's situation with low flow. Thankfully Hydro is responding positively to both situations.

The Coquitlam has had many problems over the years. I believe a combination of them all is impacting the fish. It's nice to see that Fisheries is trying to do some experimenting with placing fish above the dam. I understand they have been trying this on the Alouette as well. I hope fish ladders are placed on all dams. I have read that in the USA, trucking fish above dams have proved very un-successful. Hopefully we have better results here. I do agree with you that the Coquitlam has too little flow during dry times, hopefully Hydro will also address this problem. Why fix one problem, and not the others?

Tight Lines

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2005, 12:20:37 AM »

You are right A.T.S, I am thinking more on the flow volume of the dam.  The Stave seems to have a much larger release than the Coquitlam.  It just trickles in summer.  How can fish or smolts survive?  A while ago, Hydro did came out and said they would release more flow, but from a layman's visual observation, I cannot honestly say there are more flow than before. Still a ditch in summer.

Uncivil

• 'Geers on Gear
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2005, 11:43:54 AM »

Hydro will need to reconstruct the dam soon.  It is in poor shape for an earthquake.  I saw a report in the paper that people are fighting the plan to use material from the reservoir side to construct the dam rather than that from the current pits. Rather than fight the reconstruction (Because it will get built) maybe interested parties can fight for more water release and better fish access?
We can build it, take me to your Banker!

freddy2596

• I'm an my friend....
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2005, 05:56:44 PM »

Addicted to steel....................you almost have it correct....the Alouette flows into the Stave through a tunnel, which you wll see about a third the way up the lake on the west side. this is to regulate the water levels of the stave for the power dam.....As for the coquitlam lake it is Hydro,s first prority to see that buntzen maintains its water level(again for power generation), they really don,t give a rodents fat rump about the coquitlam river..........

Addicted To Steel

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2005, 06:31:13 PM »

Freddy;

You are correct. The tunnel, and Alouette dam were first installed in order to feed the Stave's reservoir more water for more supply of Hydro power. However, unless I heard incorrectly, or mis-interpreted, I believe the tunnel is now used both ways. When the Alouette is low, and needs more water for fish cover,etc. they will draw water from the Stave side, and when the Stave needs more water for Hydro or fish cover, they will draw water from the Alouette side.
 I am still in contact with the Hydro person I have talked with in the past. I will try to contact him again to see what the exact function of the turbine tunnel is.
 Isn't a sad state of affairs when mans need of power is more important than the needs of nature. Why is the Coquitlam river being side stepped.  Other dammed river's needs are being answered, why is the Coq. not as important? We have one screwed up government agenda here in Canada. When everybody stands up and makes a big enough stink, then SOMETIMES things get done. Until then though, the gov. will keep taking advantage of their position, as long as money plays a part. And what does money not have a part in?
 Lets hope the Coquitlam has a reserection day. Sure would be nice to see that river back in shape!

Tight Lines.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2005, 06:46:36 PM by Addicted To Steel »

Fishbreath

• Fish grasshopper, fish.
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2005, 08:57:57 PM »

Coquitlam Lake is also used by GVRD to provide the lower mainland with potable water.  They and BCHydro are continuing to study the effects of introducing salmonids up past the dam.  Their study will look how this will affect water quality.  Imagine the rotting salmon like Stave in the fall, up in the Coquitlam watershed and then serving it up as potable water.  :P
Give a man a fish and he'll have dinner today, teach a man to fish and there'll be 5000 people at your fishing hole tomorrow!

legend

• There's no nookie like Chinookie
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2005, 09:47:24 AM »

It's not a tunnel , it's called a Penstock . I'm a Boilermaker by trade and we happen to build and maintain dams. The only way they could draw water back from the Stave to the Allouette would be if there was a pump to transfer the water back up the Penstock and into Allouette lake I don't beleive such a pump exists . The building where the water comes into the Stave is gravity feed I do believe . I have spent many hours fishing both lakes I have seen water flowing out at the Stave lake outflow but have never seen it flowing out on the Allouette where the Downcomer goes into the rip rap. Maybe the building on the Stave is a pump house im not sure . If it is I have never heard the pump running .

Addicted To Steel

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2005, 07:31:11 PM »

Freddy and Legend are absolutely correct. The water does only flow from Alouette and into the Stave. I contacted the Ruskin station to confirm today. I told them what I had heard about the Stave supplying water back to the Alouette during low water months. They told me that this was a suggestion made to them a few years back, but that it was not feasible.
 Probably more like the government wouldn't supply any $ to do it. They came to an increased flow agreement with fisheries. If you ask me, there still isn't enough flow during the dry months.

funfisher

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2005, 07:19:29 PM »

Could you imagine the gong show on the Coquitlam river if they introduced sockeye back into the system :-X.  Just think of how the mighty Fraser is during sockeye season.  Ughhhh :o

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2005, 07:24:47 PM »

You can't keep sockeye in the vedder, chehalis, waever etc. why would they open the coquitlam?  :-\
Actions speak louder than words.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2005, 10:09:34 PM »

Any fish in the Coquitlam is better than none.  So, bring on the fish!  ;D

funfisher

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2005, 08:24:46 AM »

Thats a good point Biffchan.

Muddler

• Tight Lines!
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2005, 08:32:24 AM »

Just because you can't keep them doesn't mean people won't fish for them and it also doesn't mean poachers won't take their fair share. It will be good for the river, but without enforcement it could be a disaster.

Oliver

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2005, 08:53:05 AM »

...and it also doesn't mean poachers won't take their fair share.

Now poaching is considered "fair"  ???

I know what you mean, I just thought the wording was pretty funny  :D

Muddler

• Tight Lines!
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2005, 05:50:09 PM »

Yeah I guess that doesn't make sense ???. Maybe i should have said "unfair share" ;)