Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need some help  (Read 6593 times)

tavin 02

• I'm a llama!
Need some help
« on: February 24, 2005, 12:40:51 PM »

Well I've been wanting to get into flyfishing for a while now,and I've got from what I was told a 7/8 weight rod , and am looking into buying a reel, but what is realy confusing me is what type of line to buy ??? I figure this year i will be doing mostly lake fishing but am going to be doing some river fishing aswell, I'm just wondering if some one could please help me out with what type of line to buy that would generally fit both purposes. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Need some help
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 12:54:06 PM »

Rio Multi Tip system

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 07:01:00 PM »

I'm with FA
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 08:06:39 PM »

Sounds like you are just syarting out. If so I suggest a #8 dry line and a lot of reading.  There is a lot of equipment out there and the uninformed can end wasting a lot of money on equipment that doesn't do what they want. "The best fly anglers are the best students of fly angling."
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

halorail

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 10:29:14 PM »

a good tip for newbes is keep the leader short 12ft tops.
Pack Out Your Trash

tavin 02

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2005, 08:49:35 PM »

:)Thanks for the info guys ;)

Muddler

• Tight Lines!
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2005, 11:54:43 AM »

I agree that an 8 weight multi tip system sounds like your ideal line. You can get decent quality lines that will cover the array of fishing you want to do. Most multi tips come with 4 tips and a main line. You will get 3 sinking tips all at different rates (this will allow you to cover more water) and a floating tip. I would reccomend a Rio or Airflo because they have welded loops so no water will get into your floating line and cause it to sink. A multi tip system will set you back about $155 to $180, but it seems to suit your needs well.

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 08:47:42 PM »

I've never used the multi tip system so can't comment on its merits. I'm the old fashioned type who still packs 4 rods in the boat, each with a different line. Two floating... one to hang out on the rod holder with a chronomid with the drag set fairly tight so the fish sets its own hook while you use one of the others...one floating for the Tom Thumbs or the weighted micro leach on a long leader,  one sink tip to get those damsel nymphs down where they belong, and the full sink to get the shrimp down in the shoal where they belong. With this method you find yourself so busy that it cuts down the beer drinking and, as a result, save gobs of money.  ;D

I would suggest that before you buy into the multi tip system you get good at using a floating weight forward line. This is relatively easy to use and good for beginners (and old guys too).

I see the multi tip system more for river fly fishing than lake as you only have to pack one rod.

Just my thoughts.
"One man of courage makes a majority"

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2005, 02:50:19 PM »

What got me absolutely hooked on flyfishing was using a dry line the first few times out...it was august and the sedges were surfacing, the action was explosive...  i think if i'd been introduced to flyfishing on a sinking setup it may not have had quite the same impact.  Seeing a fish attack a fly you tied is really something to remember!!!

Tailwalker

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2005, 06:28:37 AM »

If you`re going to go with the Rio multi-tip system , and your rod is rated at 7/8 , get the 8 weight line . You`ll get one extra tip for the same price as the 7 weight line .
Study to be quiet