Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 5 Wt fly reel recs?  (Read 6418 times)

Koho

• I'm an alpaca!
5 Wt fly reel recs?
« on: February 09, 2005, 08:07:52 AM »

I'm looking for a new 5 weight fly reel with a standard arbor.  I'm wondering what's a good reel to get.  It would be mostly used for stream trout and some stillwater.  I'm looking for one with at least a cork or disc drag and with a mid-level price range. 
I've heard that the Tioga, Orvis BBS and Ross Cimmaron are good options.  Anything else I should look at? 

Thanks in advance.
"I'm having fish tonight!"  -Bruce, the Shark in Finding Nemo.

halorail

Re: 5 Wt fly reel recs?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 06:30:50 PM »

I've been looking on E-Bay. for some gear. You may not what to by from there, but I find it a good way to window shop. Here are some name I've looked at Tibor, Hardy, Islander, Abel, Ross, Orvis.   
Pack Out Your Trash

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 01:46:53 PM »

How much money you want to spend is the question.  if you willing to pay there are some nice reel such as, Tibor, Able, Hardy,Baure. etc....

Koho

• I'm an alpaca!
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 05:58:37 PM »

halorail: thanks for the ebay tip. 

SK: I was thinking around $200-300 or so.  I've seen the abels and they are nice reels.  The wood handle and plug are nice touches I would like to get on my next reel.
"I'm having fish tonight!"  -Bruce, the Shark in Finding Nemo.

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2005, 06:12:58 PM »

For about 200-300 range, i would go for the Lamson Velocity. they are got a nice drag system, able to stop some bigger fish, its saltwater proof so you can use it for beach fishing.. and you got like few color to choose from....

reach

• Yard work can wait.
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2005, 06:17:28 PM »

The G Loomis Adventure 5 might be worth looking at.  It's about CAD $160-$170 locally, USD $100 eBay/mail order.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2005, 04:55:10 PM »

I've got a brand new, in the box, Lamson Radius 3 loaded up with S/A 30# red backing line. No flyline is on this reel yet as it has never been on a rod. The reel comes with the a neoprene pouch. $200.00.
Beautiful reel it has a conical drag which is very strong. I believe this reel is rated 5-7wt. I bought the reel just last month but now I need an outboard so my old gear will have to do. Let me know if you're interested. I live in Abbosford and work in Surrey if that helps you to see the reel.