Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Water Ideal, Vedder, Feb. 5  (Read 3919 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Water Ideal, Vedder, Feb. 5
« on: February 05, 2005, 01:09:13 PM »

Just got back from a morning trip and was pleased to see the water in good shape.

Nothing at home in the first run so moved to where I broke the fish off on Thursday. Was just settling in and I see Clayton into a fish at the Diving Board. It looks like a nice fish from my  distance. Nick who is fishing with Clayton comes up to tail it for him and it is a hatchery fish. ;D

Just then a fellow slips below me and asks if anything, "nothing for me yet" I reply. Meanwhile Nick is getting ready to take a photo of Clay and his fish. Just after a cast, a flash from the camera distracts me for a split second, I look away for a second or two, thats all. You know whats coming now don't you. ;D

Just as I look back where I think my float should be, no Drennan in sight ??? ::) Just then before I can react the tell tale feel of a steelhead as 2 or 3 head shakes telegraf up the rod to my hands, not again I am thinking, just like a week ago when Ed distracted me and I never set the hook then either. The fish easily spits the hook as I did not even have the sense to pull, no wonder my hook - land record slips to 4 for 18. I had set a goal of hooking 50 this year, good thing I did not try to set a land goal. Nick told me in the good old days he would hook around 200 and land 100 so I will have to improve to get to that 50% mark.

After I lost the one the angler casts right now where I had hooked it, this actually is a unwritten law that we should not do, we always let the fellow that has missed a fish or had one on we give them 3 or 4 casts through the area before casting again. It is just a sporting thing to do but the fellow most likely never realized that.

The fish did not give him or me a second chance. I fished some new water and found nothing but a snag that scared me for a second.

I called it a morning at 12 and on the way back ran into Ed and Doug who had seen one caught earlier up river a bit. Doug had just lost one in the run I had fished first thing. I heard of 2 others lost so it was a bit slow in the area I fished anyway, even though I had a chance.

Time for a nap and most likely will dream about all the steelhead I should have caught this season. A good way to go to sleep, instead of counting sheep I can count where I have lost the fish this year. I am sure I will be a sleep before I get to 14. ;D ;D

May slip out again for the last hour or so just before dark.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2005, 01:13:52 PM by chris gadsden »

Bass Master

Re: Water Ideal, Vedder, Feb. 5
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2005, 02:09:44 PM »

I decided to give her a go this morning, water was surprisingly good. Saw many fish hooked, lost and landed. Myself hooking 2 and both the hook come whaling back at me. Was fishing the cement slab area and a bit lower.

Good Luck out there! :)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2005, 08:11:54 PM by Rodney »

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2005, 03:32:06 PM »

Oh no, with all the bad visibility reported, I stay home to save some gas, only to find out that water is good again.   :o   Chris, that is not a slow day at all, hooking into a fish and seeing & hearing of people into fish.  I wish I can fish water with that much activity. I better say good bye to mid-river.  ;D

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2005, 05:45:51 PM »

I just got back, it was slow for me and Gooey. I missed a fish, it swiped my gooey bob right off the hook. Water was perfect, maybe could be a little lower.
Fish on!

JustinG

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2005, 05:53:30 PM »

Great 1/2 day  ;D. Perfect water conditions, moderate crowds, got a little sun and C&R ~10lb wild doe in the lower river. Hopefully somebody down river scooped the two Drennans I lost.
Cheers!
Justin.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2005, 06:10:54 PM »

Did any body else get caught in the blizzard at the tamahi? went from 8 degrees to freezing in a half hour period, weird wheather today.
The Bigger The Better!

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2005, 07:09:50 PM »

Just back from fishing and had to run the whole gamut of weather conditions to endure it. Hail, cold, rain and sun until it finally turned mostly sunny from 3 to 4. Started fishing Peach Rd. at noon where we heard from a threesome that a couple steelies had been taken earlier. So using roe sacks we fished a bit and walked, fished a bit and walked and 2 hours later Nada, nothing to show for it except the beauty of life.So  we then moved down to Lickman and finished the day off there using both roe sacks and very good pro-cured spring roe. We met a couple fellows who said they were at Fred's
earlier and they saw someone bring in a 14LB. steely caught a little bit up river and they showed me a pic. on their camera that they had taken. Filled with that new information we set out at the same spot that earlier in the week I had hooked into a couple. The unfortunate thing was that I did'nt hook or catch any steelies but we still had a wonderful time laughing and joking and enjoying life. Many people that fish tend not to go fishing on the weekend for fear that it will be too crowded but today it was about the same volume of people as during the week. The weather, or because it was the weekend, who knows. I do know the water visibility is very good. At least 2.5 to 3 Ft. if not more in certain spots and the water speed is excellent. I would of loved to catch one of those beauties but alas, I did'nt. My time will come as will your's. Patience, perseverance and a great love of this sport will make every trip worthy. :)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2005, 07:23:14 PM »

Great 1/2 day  ;D. Perfect water conditions, moderate crowds, got a little sun and C&R ~10lb wild doe in the lower river. Hopefully somebody down river scooped the two Drennans I lost.
Cheers!
Justin.
I saw one go by but was in the middle of the river and could not get to it sorry. ;D

I thought I was going to lose mine on a snag but I waded to it, most likely should not have as may have spooked a fish.

Slipped out tonight and saw one taken in the DBR which is getting too populated for me now so on the search again.

I had to remind the fellow to mark his license as you have to mark it as soon as you dispatch the steelhead. I guess he was over excited so he forgot, maybe his first of the year :-\ so my reminder was in order.

I took nothing tonight and the lower seemed slow over all as the Master only had one on briefly so I guess I should have been satisfied with the one I had on this morning. Now if Clay had not caught his, not for Nick taking a picture of his prize with the flash, if I paid attention to my float ALL the time and....... I might have taken advantage of the fish that buried my Drennan this morning. I did not even have the thrill of seeing it going down.

Well another week of exciting steelhead is one day ahead.

Oh, the river was just perfect this evening so perfect I may slip out for and hour or so in the morning. ;D Good luck for those going out tomorrow it should be a good day on the flow.

Bantam_50

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2005, 07:28:35 PM »

Great reports everyone...I'll be on the flow tomorrow searching. Thinking of going with the pin and the ol' style rigging.  ;)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2005, 07:45:50 PM »

Did any body else get caught in the blizzard at the tamahi? went from 8 degrees to freezing in a half hour period, weird wheather today.

So did you catch one today ?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2005, 08:10:39 PM »

If you have time maybe give a run down of what went on today.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2005, 10:07:09 PM »

Sorry i had to go to cheifs game and had to go quickly. But heres what happened on Petes Clinic trip, Nothing. Our group didnt even touch anything . I had such high hopes that today would be the day of my first steely, but the wheather turned on me and the chiefs lost to dirty Surrey. This steelheading is way harder then i imagined. While you guys are counting the fish that got away, im counting the days without a fish and my record is horrible. gonna try to get out one last time sunday morning at lickman, before heading back to school.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2005, 10:11:36 PM by BigFisher »
The Bigger The Better!

Bantam_50

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2005, 10:59:18 PM »

Sorry i ... im counting the days without a fish and my record is horrible. gonna try to get out one last time sunday morning at lickman, before heading back to school.

Ok BigFisher...I might be in the area Sunday first light, but won't promise any miracles.  :P If you're there and chrome too...I'll see what can be done.  ;)

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2005, 08:14:55 AM »

Sorry i had to go to cheifs game and had to go quickly. But heres what happened on Petes Clinic trip, Nothing. Our group didnt even touch anything . I had such high hopes that today would be the day of my first steely, but the wheather turned on me and the chiefs lost to dirty Surrey. This steelheading is way harder then i imagined. While you guys are counting the fish that got away, im counting the days without a fish and my record is horrible. gonna try to get out one last time sunday morning at lickman, before heading back to school.

Many guys go months and never touch Steel.  Your lesson will pay off in the long run, you'll know what type of waters to look for the next time out.  You're a step closer.

reach

• Yard work can wait.
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2005, 10:33:33 AM »

My tally is 0 hookups for 3 outings so far, but like Athezone said, yesterday was a beautiful day to be out walking around enjoying the fresh air.  I keep my expectations low and I'm never disappointed.   ;D

I was with the Valley Fly Fishers on the fly.  We started below the train bridge, then near Lickman, then above Allison Pool, then finished off the day at KWB.  Not a sniff anywhere, and didn't see any hooked or landed either.  It was interesting to go from snow/hail in the upper river to warm and sunny at KWB.

I was using a type 6 sink tip with a large black egg sucking leech most of the day, and tried a purple one a few times.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 10:38:18 AM by reach »